View Single Post
Old 06-09-2010, 04:13 PM #4
Cyber Warrior

Cyber Warrior

Episode II – Nothing is ever as it seems

Spoiler:

Sometimes it is just not your day.

For seventeen year old Sarah Bentley from the sleepy village of Tottington north of Manchester this is tragically true. Her plan to pay the bills by auditioning to be a stripper in a Manchester night club came to nothing when she was rejected for being underage sent home in a taxi. On her return home she has found her brother murdered and suspicion placed on her with planted drugs and a large some of money placed in her bank account.

To add to this, one of two motorcyclists following the police car she is in has opened fire on it with a machine pistol

The sound of the shattering back windscreen behind her had been deafening. Now with it gone the gunman now had a clear uninterrupted shot of Sarah and the police officers.

Sarah heard the police officer who was driving swear and suddenly felt herself flung to her left as the police officer executed a sharp right hand turn.

There was the deafening sound almost like an explosion as the motorcyclist with the gun slammed into the side of the police car.

This was obviously the police officer’s plan to take him out, but what about the second one behind

Sarah heard it as it screeched to a halt behind the now immobilised police car. He was now about to finish what his colleague had started and they were sitting ducks.…

Suddenly Sarah heard more shouting from outside, coming from ahead of her outside the police car.

A number of people who were either customers or staff from the Golden Eagle Takeaway had heard the crash and come out to investigate.

Sarah heard another burst of gunfire, this time from some other kind of handgun coming from the second motorcyclist but no bullets seemed to be coming into the car. From what she could see the shots were aimed in the direction of the people from the takeaway.

In the distance another police siren started up approaching.

Sarah could just about see the first motorcyclist get up and rush around the back of the police car. As she turned her head to the left she saw him jumping onto the second motorcyclist’s bike as a pillion passenger.

The to motorcyclists then roared off through the gap between the takeaway and one of the houses, scattering and staff and customers and turning left before the fence that surrounded the park area escaping into the darkness of the night.

“Derek” the police officer who was driving called out

There was no answer.

Sarah looked at the police officer sitting in the front passenger seat. He seemed slumped forward and as she peered past the front seat as best she could, she noticed blood seeping from his head.

The other police car screeched to a halt on the left of the police car Sarah was in. Two officers got out very quickly and a female officer ran to the left hand side of the car. The other officer seemed to run over to just outside the takeaway. Sarah could not see properly but he must have done so because someone had been hit.

What had this all to do with her why her brother had been murdered and why the people who killed him had framed her?

The female office banged on the front passenger window while Sarah could see the male officer outside rushing back to their car, presumably to call in on the radio.

The driver of the police car Sarah was in tried his door.

It just about opened. The motorcycle had impacted on the back door.

The police officer ran round the front of the car and pulled open the front passenger door and reached in and checked on the police officer in the front passenger seat.

“Damn!” the officer swore and hit the roof of the car with his hand in anger.

It was becoming obvious to Sarah that this officer had been fatally it in the initial gun attack, and now she was scared that they would blame her for this death as well.

There was the sound of another siren, this time from the other side of the crashed police car. Through the broken glass of the rear passenger seat Sarah saw that this car had the police detective that had first accused her of dealing in drugs. To say he did not look too happy was an understatement.

The detective got out of the car and walked over to the police officer who had been driving and spoke with him for a minute or so. Then the detective headed over to the crashed police car and came round to the left rear passenger door, opened it, leaned over, undid Sarah’s seat belt and then he pulled himself out of the car and grabbed Sarah by her upper arm.

His grip was like a vice and hurt

“RIGHT YOU, OUT!!” the detective ordered Sarah, and angrily pulled her.

Sarah tried to get her feet to move in time, but she stumbled. The detective let go and Sarah fell to the ground. With her hands cuffed behind her back she could not break her fall properly and her left shoulder took the full force of hitting the ground followed by her head.

Sarah wanted to cry, but she was terrified and in pain.

She was right, the detective was blaming her for the death of this police officer, yet she was the one being shot at.

For a split second she thought she saw the detective lifting on of his feet as if to kick her while she lay on the ground.

“Sir!” the female police officer called out.

“Pick this wretch up and place her in my car” the detective ordered, “I’ll stay on to secure this crime scene while you take this worthless piece of scum down to the station for booking. One count of murder, one count of conspiracy to commit murder and one of possession with intent to supply for starters”

The female officer pulled at Sarah’s right upper arm and helped her to her feet, then she grabbed her arm and frog marched her over to the detective’s car. Opened the rear left door and pushed her in and buckled her up. Then the female officer got in the front passenger seat and this car started off and turned around in the road and headed back up Bury road to the junction with Booth Street. The police car then turned left and headed down on Booth Street until it got to the junction with Rhode Street, whereupon the police car cut through Rhode Street to get back on to Bury Road.

All the while Sarah cried quietly.

What was the use of protesting her innocence?

They wouldn’t believe her anyway.

For much of the journey down, it was uneventful, although when the police car got onto Bolton Street Sarah though she spotted the headlamp of another motor cycle. In the darkness it was hard to tell if they were the same as the one who had attacked earlier.

The police car drove to the Bury police station on Irwell Street and parked in the compound.

The female police officer got out of the car and pulled Sarah out of the car and frog marched her into the station and up to the charge desk.

“Evening Sarge” the female said to the officer on the charge desk, “This is the Bentley girl”

“So she’s the one who has indirectly caused the death of inspector Franks” the desk sergeant said angrily.

Sarah just shook her head weakly

“Right personal possessions here” the desk sergeant angrily ordered pointing down at the desk.

The female police officer tried to remove Sarah’s hand bag, but she could not get it off because of the handcuffs.

“Have you got a key?” the female police officer asked

The desk officer sighed in an irritated tone and went on about how he would have to go into the back to get the spare key

“I never killed anyone” Sarah said tearfully

“Save it” the female police officer snapped back, “That officer who was killed tonight because of you had a wife and three children” she added icily.

They were definitely holding her responsible for his death!

“THIS IS A STICH UP!!” a shout came from behind Sarah. Instinctively she turned her head to see some man in his twenties being manhandled by two male officers.

“Not Hargreaves again” the desk officer growled. “Oi Hargreaves” Yelled the desk officer “Shut it” he added.

“SHUT IT YOURSELF PIG” the man screamed back

Suddenly the man kicked out at one of the officers knocking the officer off balance and then tried to rush at the desk.

The male officer who had driven the car with Sarah in ran to assist his colleagues in subduing the man, which was hard because the man, though obviously drunk was very strong and very violent

“Just put this one in the cells” the desk said to the female officer, “We’ll get her stuff later when I have a chance to find the key. Let’s deal with Hargreaves first”

The female officer frogmarched Sarah away from the charge desk down to the cells.

There Sarah was pushed into a cold cell and the door locked.

There Sarah was

Locked in a police cell with her hands cuffed behind her back

Her brother, her only other relative had been murdered and the police were blaming her

Somebody had even planted drugs on her and the police were convinced they were hers and that she had murdered her own brother because he was going to expose her as a master drug dealer???

To cap it all, someone had shot at the police car she was in, murdered a police officer and now they were eager to pin that on her as well

She ached from the fall earlier and was convinced that had the female officer not intervened that detective would have kicked her in the head as further punishment for the crimes he was convinced she was guilty of.

Could it get any worse?

Sarah lent against the wall and cried quietly until she fell asleep.

+ + +

CLANG

Sarah woke with a start

Somebody was opening the cell door.

Groggily Sarah realised she was still handcuffed with he hands behind her back, and she felt stiff.

It was the detective and another police officer.

“I hope you are feeling really sore and awful” the detective growled, “I see you have a large bruise where you hit the pavement on your face. Good! You bloody deserve it after the trouble you have caused. I just wish we still had the death penalty for scum like you”

The detective then turned to the police officer, “Take that b***h to the interview room, no need to un-cuff her and don’t be too gentle with her” he ordered

“With that bruise sir” the police officer spoke up, “She needs to see a police surgeon”
“No she **********g doesn’t” the detective countered
“It’s procedure sir” the police officer insisted.

The detective looked at the police officer and then at Sarah in disgust, “No way!” the detective retorted, “This b***h has been dealing in hard Meth, has murdered her brother and because of her drug dealing activities we have lost inspector Derek Thompson a very good friend of mine”

“They’re saying that was a gang hit sir, there is no way the CPS will charge her with that murder” the police officer replied back,
“If it wasn’t for her and her drug dealing activities he wouldn’t be laying in the morgue right now” retaliated the detective, “Now I want that b***h up in the interview room now and b****r what it says in PACE

“We have to follow procedure Sir” the police officer insisted and then continued “whether you like it or not we still have to abide by PACE Sir”

“PACE” the detective swore, “Bl**dy PACE, When I joined the force we never had to put up with that crap and we got the job done”

“We do now Sir” the police officer replied forcefully.

“Fine” the detective countered, “Get the bl***y surgeon then and send that b***h up to the interview room” with that the detective marched out in a foul mood.

Sarah wanted to plead that she had never killed her brother, but it was obvious that the police officer who had been killed when the motorcyclist attacked was a popular officer. It just seemed all to hopeless

She just looked at the ground as tears welled up in her eyes. She loved her brother even if he had irritated her with his daft conspiracy theories, and now he was dead. Worse of all, if it could get any worse, Someone had framed her for his murder, planted drugs on her and somehow placed forty thousand pounds in her bank account

Sarah just wanted to die.

If they gave her a rope and left her to it, she would hang herself and that would make everyone happy and for all she knew make the world a better place.

“I’m sorry we took a while miss” the police officer told Sarah, “I can remove the handcuffs now, but I will have to take your hand bag, your watch and the contents of your pockets and your clothes for forensics”

Sarah looked up at him, “But this is all I have?” she said weakly.

So now they wanted her to strip naked as well?

“It’s procedure” the police officer insisted and bent over and undid the handcuffs.

The police officer removed the handcuffs and then took Sarah’s handbag, and watch and placed them in a large clear zip lock bag.

Sarah in a daze without warning pulled off the shirt she had been given by the night club, wincing in pain as she did so and dropped it on the floor, then with her aching arms went to remove her bikini top.

“Before you take anything else off” the police officer interrupted, “If you wait a moment miss I think it is best if get a female police officer to come in and collect your clothes”

Sarah did not hear and unclipped her bikini top, pulled it off and dropped it on the Tee-shirt

“I said STOP” the police officer repeated.

Sarah almost jumped out of her skin put her hands down on the bench she was sitting on, not daring to cover her modesty “Sorry sir” she said

“I’ll take your bag and these clothes to evidence lock up, contact the police surgeon and send a female officer to collect the rest of your clothes and bring you a replacement jumpsuit”

“Yes sir” Sarah replied, still not daring to cover self with her hands lest she get into more trouble

“On second thoughts” the police officer told Sarah, “It’s a bit chilly in this cell so put these back on for the moment as well” and tossed the shirt and the bikini top back at her.

Sarah immediately put them back on

The police officer then left with her handbag and closed and locked the cell door again.

Sarah took the opportunity to use the toilet in the cell and then went back to the bench and lent against the corner and closed her eyes.

“Why Trevor” Sarah cried out and then broke down again.

+ + +

Sarah heard the sound of the cell door being opened.

She looked up and to her horror in the doorway was one of the motorcyclists, all in black and wearing his dark helmet so she could not see her face.

Without saying a word the motorcyclist raised a gun and pointed it at her.

The gun had a silencer

“No, no” Sarah cried out in horror

The motorcyclist showed no pity and fired the gun at her

+ + +

Sarah woke up with a start

The cell door was still firmly closed.

She had just had a nightmare, but was still living in another one

There was the sound of keys in a lock. The cell door was being opened.

Sarah brought her legs up to sit in the foetal position, shaking her head, crying out the word “no”

It was a female police officer accompanied by another man in civilian dress who looked like he was in his late fifties.

“This is the police surgeon” the female police officer explained, “Our usual one is unavailable and so you are lucky to get this one. He’s here to examine you, and I am here to collect your clothes and get you to put on a jumpsuit after the examination.

The police surgeon came in, knelt down and looked at the bruise on Sarah’s face, and felt the side of Sarah’s face with his gloved hands and asked how she got it. The female police officer replied before Sarah could answer giving an explanation that was at complete variance with what happened, giving the impression it had been caused because she had been trying to escape when the car door was opened.

The police surgeon turned and looked up at the female police officer

“That’s not true” Sarah protested. “I fell on the floor when I was asked to get out of the police car. Nobody helped me”
“I wouldn’t believe a word she said Doctor” the female police officer retorted, “She’s being detained on suspicion of murder and possession with intent to supply a class A substance, scum like this will say anything”

The police surgeon frowned and then looked at Sarah’s elbows and wrists and then stood up to speak to the female police officer. “Do I understand that a police officer was killed this evening bringing in this young woman” the police surgeon asked.

“That’s right doctor” the female police officer confirmed, “Because of her we lost Inspector Derek Franks”
“Did she kill him?” the police surgeon asked the female police officer
“No sir” the female police officer answered, “It looks like a gang hit meant for her by two motorcyclists in a drive by shooting. The round meant for her” the female police officer went on, pointing at Sarah, “missed her and hit Franks in the back of the head”
“I see” the police surgeon responded, “And suppose you had arrested a burglar and someone took a pot shot at him while in your custody, hit one of your officers instead, would you hold the burglar responsible for that”

“Sir?” the female police officer replied
“Since I arrived, your detective has made it quite clear that he does not appreciate my presence and referred to this young woman as little more than a cop killer. Can I remind you that I also have a legal duty to perform here, and can I ask why you have not appointed a legal guardian for this suspect?”

“Sir?” the female police officer repeated.

The police surgeon then turned back to Sarah, “What is your date of birth”

Sarah immediately gave the information required

“That means” the police surgeon went on, “She is under eighteen and therefore in the eyes of the law still considered a minor and therefore entitled to other safeguards”

“She’s being held for an adult crime sir” the female police officer replied.
“Never the less” the police surgeon insisted, “by failing to follow the established protocols for this police service, you could run the risk of undermining any conviction you hope might be made at least and possibly be making this force liable to a claim under the human rights act. Meanwhile, I am not happy with this head wound and I want her taken to hospital and examined properly. Can you arrange that?”

“Detective Inspector Halsall” the female police officer began

“In terms of medical matters” the police surgeon interrupted, “I outrank the detective inspector and the fact you had this woman kept in handcuffs longer than standard practice”
“There were extenuating circumstances” the female police officer tried to interrupt

The police surgeon was having none of it, “This station breached it’s duty of care of a suspect who is also a minor. The detective inspector will have to wait until I pronounce her fit to be interviewed and you have arranged for a legal guardian to be present”

The police surgeon turned back to Sarah, “Have your parents been informed you are here?” he asked

“They were killed last year in a hit and run” Sarah sobbed and then added, “I didn’t kill my brother”

“Yeah right” interjected the female police officer.

“If you please” the police surgeon objected, “I still believe that in this country a person is considered innocent until proven guilty, now go and arrange for this young woman to be taken to the hospital so she can be examined properly”

The female police officer glowered at the police surgeon, “Detective inspector Halsall will not be happy”
“I don’t care, do it” the police surgeon replied, “I will stay here until it is arranged, and as for the story about trying to escape, the wounds on her elbows and the bruises on her arm are not consistent with that account, and are more consistent with someone falling over. You can tell Halsall that, if he objects, since he was in charge when I believe your prisoner was transferred to another vehicle.

“I will have to lock you in with the prisoner while I arrange this” the female police officer said icily to the police surgeon.

“I don’t think that’s official procedure either constable” the police surgeon replied

The female police officer removed a walkie talkie from her belt and spoke into it to pass on the police surgeon’s request in an irritated manner.

Was this surgeon right that her human rights had been violated?

“OK we will be taking the prisoner to the Fairfield General Hospital so I will have to cuff her again.

“Is that really necessary constable” the police surgeon questioned, “in the state she is in, in my professional opinion that hardly seems justified, and may I remind you she is a minor”

Sarah just looked at the floor, all this discussion seemed as if it was happening in the distance. Just then she felt woozy and everything started to spin. Through the strange experience of echo-like voices she thought she heard the detective come into the cell and angrily remonstrating with the police surgeon.

And then it went black.

+ + +

Sarah slowly came too and slowly opened her eyes. She was in an ambulance so it seemed, and her right wrist was handcuffed to the bed. In the ambulance with her were the paramedic, the police surgeon and the detective

“What happened?” Sarah mumbled

“You’re awake then” the detective retorted, “You can answer questions then”

“No she can’t” interrupted the police surgeon, “Not until she has been given the all clear by the hospital”
“Over a tiny bruise like that” the detective remonstrated, “I’ve seen worse than that from chucking out time in Ramsbottom
“Look detective Halsall we are dealing with a head injury here, and being the police surgeon on call I am not taking any chances” the police surgeon replied in an irritated manner, “Your constable saw how she just keeled over in the police cell. You were very lucky we were there otherwise you would be having to explain to the IPCC about a possible dead prisoner”
“And like anyone will loose sleep over the death of the likes of this scum” the detective sneered pointing at Sarah.
“I must say” replied the police surgeon, “I find your attitude very unprofessional”
“Unprofessional” the detective shouted back, “I have one dead nineteen year old in suspicious circs and one dead copper who was a very good friend of mine, courtesy of this oik’s drug dealing activities, I’ve waited long enough and I’m going to get this cow to confess and give me her supplier”
“You will” the police surgeon tried to reply

“Enough, the pair of you” said the paramedic, “In this ambulance, back here I am in charge. There will be no interrogations, period”

After what seemed like an age, the ambulance came to a stop and the doors opened into the night air.

What time it was, Sarah had no way of knowing, especially since they had confiscated her watch along with just about everything else she had. Were it not for her suddenly passing out like that, they would have taken her clothes as well.

As Sarah was wheeled out of the ambulance there outside was the female police officer who had been in the car that took Sarah to the police station and for some reason she was carrying a see-through bag with Sarah’s stuff that had been confiscated from her.

“Why have you got that” the detective asked the police officer

“We received orders that her property had to go with her as she is to be transferred to Chester House HQ as soon as she have been given the all clear” the female police officer responded, “I suspect with the way Inspector Franks was killed they probably want that specialised gangs unit to handle this investigation along with narcotics”

“THEY CAN’T DO THAT” the detective shouted, “THAT B***H IS MY COLLAR”

“Sorry sir but those are the orders sir” the female police officer replied, “It came through the email just after you left, we couldn’t phone you because we were told you had to switch your mobile off”
“News to me that” the detective said in a manner that sounded to Sarah that he was suspicious of something. “You stay with Miss Bentley here while I go back to Irwell Street to see what else they have dug up on her”
“Yes sir” the female police officer replied as the detective walked away indignantly.

“We’ll take it from here” the paramedic told the police surgeon
“I’m afraid I need to be with Miss Bentley here when we see the consultant” the police surgeon replied, “It how we do things”
“Fair enough sir” the paramedic replied and wheeled Sarah into the entrance of the accident and emergency section.

“Don’t forget to turn off your mobiles” the paramedic then told both the police officer and the police surgeon

Sarah still felt woozy, she could not understand why she would faint like that, and maybe she was hungry after all it had been several hours since she had eaten.

Eaten??? How could she think of food at a time like this, with her brother in the morgue, an attempt on her life and a police officer dead and a detective convinced that she of all people is a master drugs dealer

Sarah was wheeled to some bay or side room, she did not know where.

“We need to release her from the handcuffs so we can take the bed back to the ambulance” the paramedic told the police officer.

“Ok” the female police officer replied and undid the end of the handcuffs that was anchored to the bed.

Sarah was then transferred to the hospital bed.

“I’ll have to handcuff her to the bed” the female police officer then told the police surgeon, acting as if Sarah was not there

“I really don’t think that’s necessary constable” the police surgeon objected, “She’s not in much of a condition to go anywhere, and besides you and I could easily restrain her should we have to”

“I suppose you’re right sir” the female police officer replied and then removed the handcuffs from Sarah’s right wrist and sat down on one of the chairs by the bed holding the bag with Sarah’s confiscated property.

After while Sarah weakly asked “What time is it?”

“Quiet” the female police ordered
“Now now” the police surgeon chided, “A little courtesy never hurt anyone” and then to Sarah, “It is about three fifteen in the morning my dear”

“I’m sorry about the inspector” Sarah responded trying to show some contrition

“Sorry doesn’t cut it” the female police officer snapped back, “If you and your mates were not involved in some kind of gang feud he would not have been killed. Now shut it”

“Easy now” the police surgeon reprimanded the police officer, “like I told your colleague you can not hold her accountable for the actions of others”

After another few minutes, the police surgeon spoke up, “Constable, any chance you could go and find out what is keeping them?”
“I’m afraid not sir” the female police officer replied, “It’s not protocol, but you can go if you wish”

“I need to stay with the patient” the police surgeon insisted

“I expect their busy” the police officer replied

“I really would like someone to find out why they are taking so long, after all this is a head injury case we have” the police surgeon insisted

Somehow to Sarah, something did not feel right, it was as if the police surgeon was purposely trying to send away the police officer, but why?

No!

It must be her imagination, she had hit her head in the fall, and she had passed out in the police cell when the police surgeon had looked at her.

But why was she attacked?

Why was her brother murdered and why was she framed for it?”

Just then the police officer’s mobile went off, indicating a text message had been received

“Sorry I thought I had turned this off” the female police officer apologised and pulled out the phone to look at the incoming text.

Sarah turned to look at the female police officer as she read the text message and start frowning.

“It seems another police surgeon has turned up back at Irwell Street” the police officer announced,
“There must be some kind of mix up” the police surgeon said with no tone of concern or surprise, “Obviously a breakdown in communications somewhere”
“Can I see some ID” the female police officer asked the police surgeon

“Of course my dear” the police surgeon responded with a wry smile and reached into his coat.

To Sarah’s horror the police surgeon quickly pulled out a gun with a silencer, pointed it at the female police officer and shot her dead, once in the head.

Slowly the elderly man aimed the gun at Sarah, “I believe you have something my employer wants”

“What?” Sarah said quietly in horror.

Slowly the elderly man moved around the bed and past the body of the police officer as he headed for the chair and the bag of Sarah’s belonging

“Why?” Sarah whined

“That’s not for you to know my dear, national security and all that” the elderly man smiled, “It will be obvious what happened here, a teenage drug dealer got arrested and the rest of her gang followed her, and believing she talked or was about to, silenced her along with another fine police officer. I think using the ammo normally used by the Russian Mafia is a nice touch, don’t you”

“Sorry for the delay” an unexpected voice interrupted the room.

It was the consultant, who had just barged in.

“What’s going on here?” the consultant asked and instinctively grabbed at the elderly mans arm with the gun.

Sarah saw her chance and rolled off the bed, grabbed the bag with her property and headed out the door while the two men were struggling.

She emerged into a corridor that seemed deserted as it was still the small hours of the morning.

As she headed down the corridor to the entrance her horror in the distance Sarah thought she heard the dull thudding noise of the gun with the silencer going off.

She had no choice but to run.

If the elderly man had won the fight she was his next target, if the consultant had, then they would probably pin the death of that police officer on her as well, and the way that detective was, to be in his clutches was unthinkable.

Sarah turned a corner into a main section, as she did she heard a bullet whiz by her and impact in the wall

Sarah was near the entrance and could see that two ladies, one heavily pregnant were getting out of a taxi just outside.

Without thinking Sarah just tunnelled in on the taxi and headed outside as fast as she could.

One of the ladies was just about to close the back door of the taxi when Sarah reached it.

“May I have this one please” she panted as she climbed in the back.

“I’m sorry miss” the taxi driver said to her, “This is a mini-cab not a black cab, you’ll have to get out and order one by telephone”
“Please I’m in a hurry” Sarah pleaded, “There’s someone there trying to kill me”
“I’m sorry miss” insisted the driver, “It’s the law, I’m not allowed to pick up fares like this and I could lose my licence. You’ll have to get out”

Sarah moved across the seat and opened the door on the other side of the cab, got out and quickly pushed the car door so it slammed shut. Sarah dashed out into the roadway outside the accident and emergency entrance and down a flight of steps on the other side of the road, to the main roadway below the entrance

Out here she was a sitting duck

Sarah ran as fast as she could following along some brick like structure as the road curved and then headed across the road to a clump of trees that were on a small hill in the hospital grounds.

As she got into the trees she turned and noticed that the taxi that refused to pick her up was driving along the side of the hospital, followed by a lone figure in black on a motorcycle.

Whoever this person was, who was impersonating the police surgeon had not been working alone.

Sarah passed through the trees to lie down on a bank to try and hide, just in case that man was still following her.

Who were they and what did they want with her?

After what seemed like ages but was in reality about two minutes, Sarah stirred from where she was hiding. In the distance was the sound of a police siren, maybe they had found the bodies of the police officer and the consultant and were already blaming her.

Sarah took her property from out of the clear plastic bag, and put her watch back on.

She inched her way down to the car park, which, as it was still quite early was quite empty. Sarah quickly crossed over it down to a gap in the fence on a patch of grass on the other side onto a housing estate near the hospital.

If only she could get back to Tottington.

Sarah thought about what the taxi driver said about ordering a taxi and took out her mobile and hesitated about switching it on. What was the point if the SIM had somehow been cancelled and she did not know any taxi companies as she could never afford to pay for one. Sarah checked her purse. She still had the money that the lady outside the night club in Manchester had given her, but what use was it if she could not find a taxi.

Now if only there was a pay phone on this housing estate, which seemed unlikely as even in Tottington they were being phased out as most people had mobiles.

Sarah headed along road called Fairfield Road and then on to Primrose Drive, which was up hill and in the direction of a main road.

Where she would go after that she did not know, as it was still the early hours of the morning and there was no telling how long before they discovered she was not in the taxi and come looking for her, whoever they were. Plus there was the issue of now being on the police’s most wanted list, since they were all convinced she had been dealing in hard drugs and had murdered her brother and was now responsible for the deaths of two police officers and most likely a hospital consultant.

After ten minutes Sarah reached the Rochdale Old Road. Up the hill a short way in the distance, Sarah spotted a bus stop to her right and headed up, just in case there was an early morning bus to anywhere.

To her surprise, one of the bus numbers at the stop was the bus to Tottington, the Four-Six-Nine

Sarah hoped that there might be an early bus to her home village

No such luck!

The first bus was not until just after six thirty in the morning and that was just over two and a half hours away.

Suddenly Sarah heard the sound of more police sirens approaching from down the road

Sarah did as best as she could and hid behind the bus shelter as two police cars came screaming down and turned just up the hill into the main entrance of the hospital.

What could she do?

Just after the last police car had turned into the hospital, Sarah heard another car approaching, this time from the opposite direction.

It was another taxi

Sarah waved her arms at it, expecting it to drive past, but instead it slowed to a stop outside the bus stop.

Inside the taxi was a man of Asian origin, obviously not afraid to pick a fare up from the side of the road.

“Too early for the bus then Miss?” the taxi driver asked
Sarah just nodded and got in beside him in the front and just hoped she had enough money for the taxi.

“Where to Miss” the Asian taxi driver asked

Sarah had to think for a moment, all she wanted to do was go to her home, but for all she knew her brother’s body may still be there, and the police might still be there as well. There was only one place she could go for now, to her friend Vicky’s house and hope that they would believe her and not turn her in.

Sarah gave Vicky’s address and asked how much that would cost, explaining she only had forty pounds and that her cash card had been swallowed the previous night. She left out the part where the police had said someone had deposited forty thousand pounds into it.

The taxi driver smiled and said he could run this off the books for ten pounds. Sarah agreed and reached into her purse and pulled out a ten pound note and handed it over. Then for a brief moment wondered if that had been the right move, but this concern proved unfounded as the taxi driver pulled out into traffic and headed down the road.

About half a mile down the road another police car passed the taxi with it’s sirens screaming.

Instinctively Sarah tried to hide her face.

Luckily the driver did not pick up on it, instead he turned on the radio to a local commercial radio station which seemed to have music playing on it.

Then there was a news report, saying how a police officer had been murdered on Bury Road driving from the village of Tottington in a drive by gang shooting as he was transporting a seventeen year old youth accused of drug running and murdering her brother.

Sarah swallowed hard; they had not yet released the news about the death of the female police officer and her subsequent escape from custody.

The news report then went on to other news items.

“Don’t worry my dear” the taxi driver smiled

Sarah’s blood went cold, He must have guessed who she was

“We can go by Walshaw if the police have blocked up Bury Road, no extra charge”

Sarah was so relieved; the driver had not connected the news report to her, however in the back of her mind she was terrified that a further news report would mention what had happened at the hospital causing him to realise who she was. The only thing she could do was engage him in talking about himself, something he seemed to like doing.

Within fifteen minutes the taxi was driving along Angouleme Way, just like Sarah had been in that other taxi several hours earlier as she returned from her abortive attempt to become a stripper for a night club in Manchester.

The radio played music, but Sarah was paranoid that it would give some news update that would mean this driver would identify her.

Also deep down, Sarah was nervous about this taxi driver, as she had heard many lurid tails from her best friend Vicky about drivers attacking lone female passengers. It seemed so wrong to think that as he was being nice in working off the meter, probably because he was not supposed to have picked her up without a prior booking as the taxi driver at the hospital had insisted.

The taxi reached the bottom of Tottington road, but this time went up Walshaw road. This seemed to be the route of one of the school buses to Tottington high School used to go to from what she recalled.

Round about the Victoria Hotel in Walshaw on the radio there was a repeat of the news story of the police officer who had been shot dead by the motorcyclist carrying a suspect who had been arrested over a death in suspicious circumstances and drug running.

The Asian Taxi driver did not seem to be taking notice of it from what Sarah could see.

Then there was another news report on the radio that made Sarah’s blood run cold.

“We are getting reports of the death of two adults, a teenager and a young child who were all related in the village of Tottington. Police are not linking this to earlier reports of another suspicious death in the village of Tottington which was reported last night. The victims are not being named at this time until other relatives have been informed, but according to anonymous sources it seems like a tragic case where the father has killed his wife and two children before committing suicide, possibly over financial problems. Police are not hunting for anyone else in this tragedy”

“No!” Sarah groaned, she had a bad feeling

The radio then reported how they believed this family were slain at approximately the same time Sarah had been arriving at Manchester Victoria the previous evening

“What is it about this village of yours?” the driver asked casually, six deaths in one night, “It sounds worse than some parts of Moss Side.”

Sarah felt very sick, as she feared the worse

Soon the taxi was approaching Vicky’s address in Tottington, but as the taxi turned into the road, it seemed all Sarah’s nightmares were coming true, there in the distance by Vicky’s house was a police car, blue tape and a number of forensic police officers.

It was Vicky and her family that had been slain.

“No, No” Sarah started repeating.

The taxi pulled to a stop by the side of the road

“That was where you wanted to go” The taxi driver questioned

Sarah nodded as tears streamed down her face, “It was my best friend’s house” she squeaked out.

Oh my G_d!” The taxi driver exclaimed “I better take you home” the taxi driver offered, “Where do you live?”

“A few streets away” Sarah replied, “But I can’t go back their”
“Come, come Miss” the taxi driver answered back, “I know it probably seems that way to you just now, but take it from me, whatever the problem with your family I sure it can be worked out, me and my sisters” the taxi driver went on.

“My brother was killed last night” Sarah interrupted

“Oh my G_d!” The taxi driver exclaimed, “You are that girl on the news, aren’t you”
“I didn’t kill my brother” Sarah insisted, “I was out when it happened, but the police wouldn’t listen”
“What about those drugs?” the taxi driver pressed
“I never saw them before” Sarah insisted,
“And that drive by shooting?” the taxi driver asked
“I’ve no idea who they were” Sarah replied, “I think I saw them earlier in the evening, I don’t know why they were trying to kill me”
“Maybe your brother was involved with some very bad drug gang”
“But neither of us do drugs” Sarah responded angrily
“Believe me miss” The taxi driver replied, “Sometimes those closest to us can be capable of hiding things from us and we are always the last to know”
“He never did drugs” Sarah insisted
“Maybe he never took them himself”
“He never sold drugs” Sarah repeated, “All he ever did was play about on that stupid laptop of his”
“Maybe he was some kind of broker on the” the taxi driver tried to suggest
“NO!” Sarah asserted and then said, “I better go or they” and unclipped her seatbelt
“Don’t be silly Miss” the taxi driver told her, “Where are you going to go. Maybe they planted the drugs to close the case quickly” the taxi driver accused as he pointed to the police who were still going in and out of Vicky’s house, “Our lot are always being harassed by them even though they try and say it doesn’t happen. A lot of them are lazy and racist and want to pin things on us all the time”

“You believe me?” Sarah tearfully asked
“I am very good judge of character so my sisters tell me and at telling who is being truthful” the taxi driver reassured Sarah, “They have not spotted us so if we just drive past slowly they will not be suspicious” the taxi driver told Sarah and started the car up and then drove nonchalantly passed the police and Vicky’s house.

The taxi driver was right; the police were more concerned with investigating a crime scene, which presumably they were going to write off as a triple murder and suicide.

This scenario that had been released to the news was bogus. Sarah knew Vicky and her family well; they were comfortably off and had no financial worries. Vicky’s parents had even offered to take Sarah in when her parents died, before Social Services relented and allowed her to stay with her brother. Vicky’s father would never kill his family and commit suicide like they had said he had done on the radio.

It was becoming obvious to Sarah, whoever killed her brother, framed her and tried to kill her, had for some reason killed Vicky and her family, but why?

The taxi pulled out of the street where Vicky had lived and turned right.

Immediately they left the street, a black mini started up and pulled out of the street from between two parked cars. In it was a single man in his late fifties. The mini also turned right and began following the taxi cab at a distance…

To Be Continued

Fame, Riches, Adventure, Glory - A Cyber Warrior craves not these things

In Memorium
Wendy (AKA Romantic Old Bird) 1951 - 2008

Last edited by Sticks; 28-11-2010 at 06:05 PM. Reason: image link - Add Spoiler tags
Sticks is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote