View Single Post
Old 17-04-2011, 06:50 PM #5
Cyber Warrior

Cyber Warrior

Episode IV –Breaking Away

Spoiler:

It is said that bad pennies have a habit of showing up, and that seems to be just what Brigadier Samuel Peters has found out. A former adversary, Sir Sidney Gerald, he thought effectively long dead is back, but that is not the worst of it. Samuel is being blackmailed by a mysterious figure from the US Homeland Security to be part of a negotiating team to do a deal with Sir Sidney, who claims to have the ability to reconnect with the Mystical Realms, which he is selling to the highest bidder.

Meanwhile in Ireland, the former chief who headed up the former G2 special section seems to be under virtual house arrest and prevented from warning the O’Dochery twins who were former Minor Spirits of Virtue, that someone from the CIA had been tailing them.

+ + +

An office in a secret location in Washington DC

“That is incredibly low Mr Double You” Brigadier Samuel Peters said with disgust, “Or is it John” he added

“You will forget what you heard the Vice Admiral call me” The African American ordered, “He had no business breaking protocol like that. And like I said, I am willing and able to bring in the Johnstons and have the Sands and the Schneider girls brought back from Toronto if you do not co-operate”

Samuel shook his head slightly, “You talk about the Duties of the State Mr whatever you want to call yourself, what about the obligation to protect the weak and the powerless against the dirt bags of the world, like Sir Sidney and his cohorts. My friend was forced out of the Marine Corps and you want to hand over an innocent young woman and sterilise two young girls who are no threat whatsoever”

“Where were you when the twin towers came down Brigadier General?” The African American asked calmly with determination

“Excuse me?” Samuel asked

“We lost a lot of good people that day Brigadier General because someone was asleep on the job” the African American went on, “You’re talking about seven people here, how many died on nine eleven”

Samuel shrugged his shoulders, “Just over three thousand” he answered

“It’s probably higher than that Brigadier General” the African American said with steel like resolve, “A number of the workers were undocumented”

“So you’re playing the numbers game then” Samuel accused

“If I have to” the African American replied, “To quote a former British Prime Minister, the game has changed. If we are ever to prevent the kind of threat to our interests that could be represented if the wrong hands get hold of that technology, we need to deal with this man on his terms”

“No” Samuel countered, “We need to take him out, so he can’t sell it to the terrorists”

“Like I said Brigadier General” the African American said with firm resolution, “The strategic ability to move to another world will put this country back to being top dog” he added before asking Samuel, “So do I make that call to bring in your friends”

Samuel eyed the African American with hatred. He had seen many abuses of power exposed during his career which had had the excuse of “National Security”. Now if he had heard right these duties of the state that this man had referred to seemed to mean trampling on individual freedoms all for the greater good of this so called and cherished national security.

“So where are we going to deal with Sir Sidney” Samuel said with venom

“You are to fly out to London” the African American explained, “And from there wait further instructions as Sir Sidney will contact you there”

Samuel sighed and stared at the African American who insisted on calling himself Mr Double You.

“One question” Samuel asked

“We have booked you into a hotel and your flight leaves in three hours” Mr Double-You replied

“No, not that” Samuel replied, “What have you got against the former minor spirits of virtue, their harmless, and their hard wired to be model citizens”

“That was not the opinion of the committee of Other Worlds Affairs” Mr Double-You said impassively, “Even if those individuals are model citizens, allowing them to breed could be too much of a risk. There could be some genetic factor which could turn any offspring into a threat”

“Now you know from Celeste’s child” Samuel replied, “That’s a load of hogwash”

“This is not up for debate” Mr Double-You said abruptly, “You have a flight to catch. We have a bag for you already packed and the rest of your team are at the airport”

+ + +

Dublin
Late evening

Gregory went to the living room window again and looked out at the two G2 officers; sitting in their car to make sure that he did not go anywhere near the O’Docherty twins, so that he could not warn them that they had been of interest to the American CIA.

He had put his dead wife’s mobile phone on to charge, he did not know why, apart from the fact it was the only phone he could use, since the landline was bugged and the current administration of G2 had revoked the SIM on his own mobile.

It was so galling that he was being treated like a criminal

They should be protecting those lasses, especially as their biological father had been considered a hero of the Irish military because of the way he had served in Afghanistan. What was even more ironic about that particular case, was that he had been killed by US friendly fire shortly after saving the lives of American soldiers.

And now the daughters of this once decorated long dead hero were considered expendable for the sake of Irish American relationships. How could his own country stoop so low?

Gregory closed the curtain and went back into the bedroom. Without his wife, it seemed larger and emptier. Then his eye caught on something shiny.

He went over and picked it up.

It was a Talisman of Morpheus

He had been given it by the late Shamus McTuckle formally of the special diplomatic service.

He remembered being told how Shamus had been killed by some kind of magic missile that even defeated the healing abilities of the Spirit of Second Chances, Celeste, daughter of the Spirit of Death.

The talisman had the ability to cause others to sleep, very useful if a leprechaun had to go in to an area where humans were. He remembered Shamus saying how it was sometimes used against human children, especially minor spirits of virtue who lived with human families, so they could be watched over to keep them safe. Sometimes the leprechauns would watch over these half breeds of a major spirit of virtue and a human, even after the minor spirit had given up their spirit status and became fully human.

If you knew how, you could even use it to enter their dreams and speak to them. Shamus had said that power was too dangerous for a human to use, something about the human mind, but he did show Gregory once how to use it to make other humans fall into a deep sleep, with out the person knowing what was happening.

Gregory picked it up and wondered if it would still work even though the two worlds of Earth and the Mystical Realms were separate.

He had an idea.

Gregory slipped on the talisman and put on his coat and opened the door. Next he walked up to the car with the G2 officers.

They were new officers, and must have been recruited after he had “retired”, no matter.
Gregory tapped on the driver’s window.

The driver wound his window down

“Look lads” Gregory spoke to him, “I know Miss McLaughlin wants you to make sure I don’t go anywhere and wants me to know that”

“We have our orders sir” the driver replied

“I know son” Gregory replied, “But why don’t you both come inside, I mean what if someone who doesn’t know you called out the Garda, it would be quite embarrassing”

“I’m sure our liaison has dealt with that sir” the passenger replied

“Maybe” Gregory replied, “But you can be doing you job just as well if you come inside with me, and you won’t worry the neighbours. I know some of them; they can be a pretty suspicious lot”

“I could use the toilet” the driver said to the front seat passenger.

“But what about our orders?” the passenger complained.

“Which are to make sure I stay out of trouble” Gregory interrupted, “And like I said, you can do that just as well if you come inside with me”

The driver opened the door of the car and stepped out, “Just no funny stuff sir” he told Gregory
“You took my weapon” Gregory reminded him
“I am sorry about this sir” the driver apologised, “But Miss McLaughlin was adamant, we were to make sure you kept out of trouble”
“And so you shall” Gregory reassured him.

Reluctantly, the front seat passenger got out of the car, “We need to report in sir”

“Oh come on son” Gregory told him, “You’re still obeying orders to make sure you keep me out of trouble, what harm is there?”

Then after a moment’s thought, Gregory added, “I would order out for pizza, but for some reason, my phone is on the blink”

“I prefer Indian” the driver remarked, “I have the number of one on speed dial”

“I could go along with that” Gregory replied as he led the two G2 officers to his house

+ + + +

Residential area of the marine base at Quantico
Virginia, United States of America

The marine officer stood at the door of Sue-Lim’s and Pete’s billet arguing with Pete. “Sorry sir, orders are to keep you here in protective custody”

“Custody?” Pete said at the top of his voice, “My wife was the victim here and we’re the ones being treated as criminals?”

“The base doctor will be on site tomorrow morning” the marine said insistently, “If the symptoms are persisting, then you can call him”

“And that could be too late” Pete retaliated, “This is my wife’s first child and it is looking like she’s having it now”

“That can’t be helped sir” the soldier insisted, “Those are the orders, and anyway according to file we have on her, she is not due for another two weeks”

Pete shook his head in astonishment, either the base guards at Quantico could see through his ruse, or they were really so straight jacketed by military rules that if his wife were really having the baby they would rather both died than disobey the orders of some unidentified bureaucrat

“My wife is having complications” Pete insisted in vain, “These things don’t always go to the timetable”

“I’m sorry but those are the orders. You are not permitted off the base under any circumstances” the soldier insisted

“So you’re prepared to see both my wife and child die?” Pete said angrily as he got taken in by his own attempt a deception

“I’m sorry but those are the orders. You are not permitted off the base under any circumstances” the soldier repeated, using the classic broken record stalling method

Just then there was the sound of a car pulling up outside.

The soldier briefly turned to see who it was. In the failing light it looked like some kind of military officer getting out of the front passenger door, and then he recognised the face. It was his supervisor at Metro PD, Iain Davy in his old uniform of a Senior Master Sergeant in the US Air force, the most difficult enlisted promotion to attain in the Air Force, carrying an envelope

The soldier turned to speak to this US Air force officer, “I was not informed that the Air Force was coming here sir”

“At ease Marine” Pete’s supervisor addressed the soldier, “I’m here to speak with the Smiths as part of the ongoing investigation into the murder of a federal employee and the attempted murder of a senior naval officer”

“I had no orders about that sir” the Marine replied, “And besides, this is a marine base, not an air force base sir”

“We thought someone here might point that out” Pete’s supervisor said to the marine and presented an envelope, “These are new orders. As part of an inter forces initiative, the air force has been asked to run an independent investigation as it looks like the attempt to kill Vice Admiral Quentin was an inside job”

“This is a marine base” the soldier protested, “Marine’s don’t do that kind of thing, sir”

“Excuse me” Pete interrupted, “But my wife is about to die in child birth here and this Marine will not allow us to go to hospital or cal in a doctor”

“She is not due for another two weeks” the marine said to Pete’s supervisor, “and a doctor will be on site from oh nine hundred hours tomorrow”

“And if one of you had a serious accident” Pete’s supervisor told the marine, “Would you wait for oh nine hundred”
“No”
“Then if our witness is having a medical emergency, what is the difference marine?” Pete’s supervisor said angrily
“She’s probably got indigestion” the marine scoffed, “the file says she is not due for another two weeks”
“And you did your medical training where exactly marine?” Pete’s supervisor asked

“I’m afraid I have yet to attend the Marine Corps Field Medical Service School sir but we have been taught elements of first aid” the soldier replied.

“Well you are relieved” Pete’s supervisor replied, again presenting the envelope he was carrying, “If our witness is having a medical emergency we need to do an immediate medical evacuation, now!”

“Our orders” the marine began
“Are countermanded” Pete’s supervisor interrupted, “This is a US Air Force operation now”

“I’ll have to check with my CO on that” the Marine said with a hint of suspicion in his voice.

“Go ahead” Pete’s supervisor replied, “I’m sure your CO will enjoy being interrupted while he is watching La Triviata with the defence secretary and her husband. While you’re at it you can explain why one of our main witnesses died because they had to wait for oh nine hundred before they could get medical attention”

“You can take her” the marine replied, “But the others have to stay”

“I need to talk with them while Mrs Wang is being attended to” Pete’s supervisor insisted, “Now I’m taking them all to the hospital, do you have a problem with that marine”

“They’re supposed to be held here in protective custody” the marine protested
“Wrong Marine, they are located here for their safety and as they have not yet been charged with any offence, my understanding is that they are not prisoners. As for this protective custody nonsense, if one of them dies because you refuse them urgent medical attention, then you’re not protecting them are you?” Pete’s supervisor countered, “Now stand aside, this is an Air force operation now.” Pete’s supervisor then addressed Pete, “Get Mrs Smith and everyone else there, and get in the car”

As Pete disappeared into the house the marine glowered at Pete’s supervisor as he took the envelope, “This is highly irregular.” The marine protested, “We normally investigate our own Sir”
“Well that’s not happening this time” Pete’s Supervisor insisted, “Not if this crime was an inside job. Any investigation must be seen to be above reproach to avoid allegations of a cover up”
“I will be raising this with my superiors in the morning” the marine announced
“File whatever protest you want” Pete’s supervisor replied, “I’m taking them off base to the hospital and then I will be interviewing them”

The soldier continued to eye Pete’s supervisor with suspicion, “We were told by Homeland Security that they were not allowed to be let out of our site”

“Well the air force is taking over that responsibility now, Marine” Pete’s supervisor answered back.

Pete came out of the house with Sue-Lim, clutching her abdomen and moaning. Simon followed behind carrying a number of bags.

“Put those in the trunk and get in the car” Pete’s supervisor ordered Simon and immediately he complied.

“Hey!” the marine objected, “Do you need all that just to go to the hospital” he added angrily
“That’s none of your concern” Pete’s supervisor said with equal anger, “For the moment they come under the protection of the US Air force”

Pete helped Sue-Lim into the back of the car with Simon and then got into the front passenger seat.

“When we have finished with them, we will return them to your protection, should that continue to be necessary” Pete’s supervisor told the marine.

Pete’s supervisor then got into the car and started it up.

Slowly the car started moving, while Pete and Simon hardly dared to breath, expecting the marines to stop them before they got to the main gate.

After a couple of minutes driving in silence they approached the main gate and the three passengers held their breath as they saw the armed marines in the middle of the road

Pete’s supervisor slowed down and wound the window down as a marine approached the car.

Simon thought back to the alternate timeline when they had to escape the base by travelling through a wormhole to the Mystical Realms and gulped. This time with the radiation barrier, blocking passage between the two worlds, it had not been an option this time.

He had to trust that this boss of Pete knew what he was doing.

“I’m taking Mrs Smith to the hospital to have her checked out as it looks like she may be going in to labour” he told the marine guard, “I’m also taking Mr Smith so he can be with her there and Mr Hargreaves is a vulnerable adult and cannot be left unsupervised”

Simon felt incensed by this comment and wanted to object, but felt his hand squeezed by Sue-Lim as she whispered, “Please Simon, no”

Sue-Lim had guessed how he felt

After a few agonising minutes that seemed like hours, the marines waved the car through and they were off the base.

Iain, Pete’s supervisor was the first to speak, “I’m sorry I pressed you back at your house. I was told you were involved in highly sensitive work from the start, I should not have expected you to breach any confidences or reveal any classified information you were privilege to during that time”
“Believe me sir” Pete spoke up, “If we even tried I don’t think you would believe it. I’m not sure I would have believed it myself”

“We are very grateful to you for doing this sir” Sue-Lim chipped in

“I tried to call earlier and my call was intercepted.” Iain explained, “They told me that while you were being held I would have to put requests to speak to you via the base commander”

“They were holding us prisoner?” Sue-Lim replied, “Why? We didn’t do anything wrong”

“I don’t know Sue Lim” Iain replied, “But you’re my people now and like the marines we look after our own”

“We appreciate that sir” Pete told his supervisor, “what did you want to talk to us about?”

I managed to check with that courier firm that delivered that scarf” Iain continued, “It seems it was mailed from an address in Sidcup south east of London, England. That’s a long distance assassination attempt if it was what the Vice Admiral said was a point attack?”

“You haven’t spoken to Scotland Yard have you?” Pete nervously asked
“Not yet” Iain replied, “I wondered if that place would mean anything to you, is that town related to what you did in England”

“No sir” Sue-Lim replied, “We were further South East down in Kent

“Now” Iain went on as he noticed how Sue-Lim had stopped moaning in pain, “Sue-Lim are you really having that baby or was that your attempt to get out of there?”

“It was a ruse sir” Pete admitted, “But obviously not as successful as yours sir”
“That’s the benefit of serving in the military” Iain replied, “Wear the right uniform, speak with enough confidence and you can usually bluff your way through”

“We wanted to examine the place where my wife and baby were taken” Simon chipped in

“What do you hope to find there Mr Hargreaves?” Iain asked
“A radiation signature” Simon answered before Pete or Sue-Lim could stop him from replying
“What kind of radiation” Iain asked, “Is this a danger to the public”
Pete shook his head despondently, “No sir” Pete admitted, “It’s more like a residual trace, but it won’t be around for much longer”

“We’re being followed” Iain announced

Sue-Lim tried to turn round to look out the back, “Are they trying to kill us?”

“No idea, they’re pretty far back” Iain replied, “It might just be someone from the base to see we’re going where I said we were. So unless they become more of a threat, I need to continue to the hospital while I get some unmarked cars to intercept them. Then we can drop Sue-Lim off at the hospital for a check up along with Mr Hargreaves, and then you and I Pete will need to go and examine that crime scene with what ever gizmo you have back there in the trunk”

Iain then switched on his hands free mobile and started dialling

+ + +

A dark plane in an unknown artificial universe

Celeste looked up as she breastfed her daughter, “Doctor Henshaw?” Celeste asked

Charlene suddenly came too, as she had been pondering what Sir Sidney Gerald had meant by a work around to get past the radiation barrier blocking the passageway to the Mystical Realms. “Yeah?” Charlene asked

“I thought the boss was dead?” Celeste said with confusion in her voice, “I was there when he and the Spirit of Lust had their essence spread through out the universe Doctor Henshaw. He tried to stab her with the shears of Atropos, she grabbed him, they glowed white and then we hid behind a desk and there was some kind of explosion”

Charlene shook her head briefly before beginning, “Do you remember the alternate timeline?”

“How could I forget” Celeste replied, “We lost Earth to Brameana. That’s probably why the government was so mean to us. They thought we were a security risk after all”

“Well that’s by the by” Charlene commented, “Do you remember what that so called angel said about us rolling time back?”

Celeste thought for a moment, “He said the rolling back of time had consequences”

“Yeah right” Charlene replied, “We thought it might be some paradox, like going back in time led to the Fall of Earth”

“But it didn’t” Celeste protested, “We managed to stop them before they sent those atom bombs to Earth”. Celeste then went quiet for a moment as she looked down at her daughter and then added, “It was me who caused the worlds to be separated”
“Yeah, but you saved Washington from that Hydrogen bomb” Charlene said in reassurance.
“I know” Celeste said with tears in her eyes

“Well anyway” Charlene went on, “You know how we rolled back time to the second day after the Venezuelans paraded The Clan Chief of the Manjura”

Celeste went red with embarrassment, “Yeah, I messed up and Sophie’s fiancé saw me naked where as before he didn’t”

“Whatever” Charlene responded, “When time got back to the point where it rolled back from, there was some kind temporal skip”

“I never felt anything” Celeste replied

“Neither did I” Charlene agreed, “If you imagine that the rolled back time period was second hand worn out time”

“Eh huh?” Celeste answered as this was beginning to get beyond her

“Well as soon as we returned to the point where time rolled back in the alternate timeline, we met fresh time that had never been experienced and there was, and this is the best analogy I can think of, there was some kind of temporal sonic boom”

“What’s a sonic boom?” Celeste asked, still puzzled

Charlene shook her head briefly, “Never mind” she muttered, “Anyway, according to Sir Sidney, while he and the Spirit of Lust’s essence were spread through out universe, they were like those so called angels and demons, outside of the time line. When time in the alternate timeline was rolled back to this timeline, they lived through that as well, experiencing both. When they reached that point again and met fresh time, somehow it enabled Sir Sidney to reconstitute himself and the Spirit of Lust at the place they had left. As he had stabbed The Spirit of Lust prior to being spread through the universe, she was reconstituted as fatally injured, and so she died”

“Do you think that was what the angel referred to Doctor Henshaw when he talked about consequences”

“I don’t know” Charlene admitted, “Maybe, I mean it was not exactly the future at that point, all I know is that according to Sir Sidney, he lived through the alternate time line and then this one, and that the rolling back of time allowed him to return back to London.

“So we should never have rolled time back then” Celeste asked

Charlene shook her head, “The way those so called demons were intent on wiping us out using the Lord Low Troll’s daughter Celeste, I’m not sure we had that choice”

+ + +

Dublin
Late evening

Gregory looked at the two sleeping G2 officers with a certain sense of satisfaction, the Talisman of Morpheus had done its job and they had never seen it coming.

They would probably be out for about fifteen minutes, as that was the length of time Shamus had told him it was effective for in the hands of a non leprechaun. There was also the issue of the G2 officers having to call in every twenty minutes, so he would have to move fast, but then he had his “just in case bag” at the ready

Gregory quickly went up the stairs and grabbed his bag and then came down. For a moment he wondered if they were armed, and if he should steal one of their side arms.

He thought otherwise and just took the driver’s car keys and mobile phone and went out the front door, down to the G2 officer’s car and got in.

Gregory started the car and drove off.

For the moment he was in the wind as it were, but where could he go?

Gregory suspected that there might be more officers outside the house of the O’Docherty twins, but he still wanted to warn them.

Then he remembered a particular number. It had been indelibly printed on his mind when Caer had been kidnapped that one time by protestant paramilitaries who had been working for that English industrialist, Sir Sidney Gerald.

Gregory pulled in to the side of the road and took out the phone he had stolen from the G2 officer.

Slowly Gregory dialled a number in County Claire and waited for it to be answered.

After about ten rings, the phone picked up

“Muckanagh House Farm” a man sleepily replied

“Shaun O’Docherty” Gregory said into the phone
“Speaking, who is this?” the man on the end of the phone asked
“You don’t remember me then?” Gregory replied
“It’s erm” the voice on the phone went on.

Gregory interrupted him, “Best not to say, you may be being bugged by G2”

“I don’t understand” the man at the end of the phone replied, “G2 helped us get our daughters back”
“There’s been a change of policy since then” Gregory answered, “As soon as I ring off, find a mobile that works or another phone”

“Why?” the man at the end of the phone asked

“Your daughters were tailed today by an agent from certain foreign intelligence service in a land that many went to during a certain nineteenth century famine. I stopped him and I wanted to warn your daughters, but before we could interrogate this agent, someone silenced him and the powers that be vetoed me giving your daughters a heads up.”

“Why don’t we get G2” the man on the phone again tried to ask

Gregory was having none of it and interrupted again, “G2 are the last people you should be involving Shaun, they been taken over by those who believe in sucking up to that certain foreign land. You need to warn your daughters to watch their backs and don’t trust those you used to trust. There is a new order in power and they have already killed a former head of a certain agency that took over in dealing with those who had heritage similar to your daughter’s biological heritage on their birth mother’s side”

Gregory glanced down at his watch. “I have to go now Shaun, and what ever you do, do not try and contact this number. If you have some other place to go, go there, if not, arm yourself, they may come after you as well”

At that Gregory hung up the phone and tossed it out of the car. If it had a GPS chip, he did not want his former colleagues trailing him to where he was going.

Gregory then drove off into the night, thinking about the phone conversation he had just had, hoping that the twins would be warned of the CIA involvement that his own former colleagues were intent on covering up. He just hoped he had not come across too much like a mad man and that Shaun O’Docherty would ring Caer and Fidelity.

This was all he could do, and it irked him that G2, an organisation that he had risen up through the ranks in, had betrayed those they once protected so, just for political expediency.

There was only one place Gregory could go now, because when the two G2 officers came round he would be declared a wanted fugitive.

Gregory parked the car a few streets from a little known taxi firm he once used and then walked to their offices and spoke to the female dispatcher.

“I’d like to book a taxi please miss” he asked the dispatcher

“Where to?” The lady asked

“Gregory looked at his watch” and then back at the dispatcher, “I wish to catch the late ferry to Holly Head. I believe it is sailing with the hour”

“You’re in luck sir” she told him, “John has just arrived back from another fair” At this the lady called a taxi driver across and introduced Gregory to him.

“He wants to catch the last ferry out to Holly Head”

The taxi driver sighed, it was obvious that he had not expected one more fair, but then work was work. “Get in” he said to Gregory reluctantly, “It will be tight but I think I can get you there in time”

+ + +

Samuel Peters looked up at the departure board for the flight to London. It seemed to be delayed.

He was yet to meet up with the other members of the “negotiating team” that would sell out to a traitor and mass murderer, all in the name of national security.

“Colonel” a female voice came behind him, which then corrected herself, “I mean Brigadier General”

Samuel spun round to look at someone he had not seen for three years since she had lost her last appeal. It was the Tania McCaskey formally a corporal in the US Army before her conviction, he felt unjustly at a court marshal

Samuel remembered Tania well. She had worked with him at the old UK Inter Dimensional Entity Control Head Quarters which had been situated in North London, before it had been destroyed in a lorry bomb attack by agents of the Magnus Timor cult from the Mystical Realms.

Tania had been recruited because she had experience with young people and her task had been to help with the programme dealing with Minor Spirits of Virtue who were mostly young children. These minor spirits, the embodiment of a virtue in human form had one human parent and one parent who was a Major Spirit of Virtue., It had been the job of the programme to find these minor spirits and give them the opportunity to rid themselves of certain special powers related to their nominal virtue, that most of them could not control anyway, and gain their human soul, thus making them fully human and no longer a possible problem for the Earth authorities. The other reason for this programme, which the Mystical Realms Authorities were in favour of, was that as they were then deemed human, they no longer came under their jurisdiction and the law dealing with the interference in the affairs of the world of humans.

As for Tania, Samuel’s anger continued to burn at the injustice done to her. Tania had been accompanying the former Spirit of Kindness, Rebecca Sands from England to stay with her uncle in New Hampshire, however because an identity thief had used her details from a stolen Department of Defence laptop, she had been arrested at New York and taken to Miami. Even though the civilian authorities had cleared her of any wrong doing, Tania was court marshalled for bringing the US Army into disrepute, because she had been arrested in uniform in public. Her court Marshall had been a sham of a show trial, mainly because the scum bag Samuel was being blackmailed into negotiating with, had arranged for Tania to be convicted and given the maximum sentence, just so the top Secret Inter Dimensional Entity Control organisation endured humiliation.

Samuel had hoped that given the evidence of how Sir Sidney had corrupted the original Court Marshall, Tania would have been cleared, but no. Officially the documents exonerating Tania had been ruled inadmissible, a decision Samuel found incomprehensible. Some had told him on the quiet that Tania could never be cleared, because one the Army would have had to admit that it’s judicial process had been compromised, and two, even though the former members of the IDEC had saved Earth from the troll Brameana and the demons, they were considered politically persona non grata. The way his former right hand man Mark Johnston had been forced out of the Marines, bore this out as well

This turnaround in their fortunes seemed to be because the sceptics had pointed out that they had been part of the policy of engagement, rather than the old UK policy of Incarcerate, Interrogate and Exterminate, which they said had allowed for the original attacks on Earth in the alternate timeline. Besides, since the worlds were now separated and because in this timeline the attacks never happened, they considered that they owed them nothing but contempt.

That’s gratitude for you!, they had forgotten that if it weren’t for them then the Magnus Timor would have opened a rift and smashed the world of the Mystical Realms into the planet Earth

“I thought you were still in prison” Samuel asked Tania

Before Tania could answer, another man in his fifties, dressed in a dark blue suit came up behind her, “We have let her out for this one assignment Brigadier General”

“What?” Samuel asked

“I’m sorry sir” Tania admitted, “Myself and Mister Ex here are also part of the team to negotiate with Sir Sidney for access to you know where”

“Why?” Samuel whispered to Tania, “After what that b*****d did to you?”
“I have my reasons” Tania replied softly
“You promised her she would be cleared of something we both know she didn’t do” Samuel accused Mr Ex
“Among other things” Mr Ex replied

Samuel shook his head, “I take it you’re coming with us?” he asked Mr Ex
“You take it correctly Brigadier General” Mr Ex replied.
“So am I leading this negotiating team or are you?” Samuel asked Mr Ex
“I’m here to remind both of you what is at stake, Brigadier General” Mr Ex answered back in a cold manner
“Again, why Tania?” Samuel asked,
“Like you” Mr Ex went on, “Sir Sidney has requested her presence on the team, and we felt a pretty face and feminine charms may help in negotiations, and besides Tania, you have personal reasons to reopen that link don’t you” he added with a hint of venom.

Tania looked ashamed and looked down at the ground before looking up at Samuel, “When I was last there on IDW01, I met someone”

Samuel shook his head, “No” he repeated.

“It wasn’t a Major Spirit” Tania answered back, as she thought Samuel was thinking of a Major Spirit of Virtue.

“Let’s just say Miss McCaskey was on favourable terms with a prominent member of a certain high council who had dealings with our once cold war adversaries”

Samuel was careful not to utter the name of this council in a public place like the airport, but he knew what they were referring to. Tania had obviously been romantically involved with someone on the Drow High Council. These were the dark elves and the elves sworn enemy. Not only that, the drow had, during the time that the link to the Mystical Realms existed, partnered up with first the Soviets and then the Russians. If this prominent member of the drow high council was linked to Tania, then obviously she would be used by those in charge.

“So does Sir Sidney know about this” Samuel asked angrily

“We’re not sure” Mr Ex replied, “And even if he did, it doesn’t matter. He asked for you Brigadier General and he asked for Tania McCaskey here so you are both on the team. We need that capability and we need to make sure certain others do not get it instead.”

“And what’s in it for him?” Samuel asked

“We will discuss that Brigadier General privately” Mr Ex said coldly, “When we arrive at our hotel in London”

Just then their flight was called.

“I believe that’s us” Mr Ex told Samuel and Tania, “And we don’t want to miss our flight and keep Sir Sidney waiting, do we?”

+ + +

Outside George Washington University Hospital
Washington DC
United States of America

Iain’s car slowed as it approached the hospital car park.

Suddenly the sound of a number of police sirens erupted as various unmarked cars made themselves known around a black Mazda car that had been following Iain’s car

Iain brought his car to a stop outside the hospital entrance.

“Pete, take Simon and Sue-Lim into the hospital, let me handle this” Iain ordered Pete.

Pete spotted his supervisor at Metro PD’s forensic science laboratory upholster his sidearm. Something Pete and Sue-Lim did not have as they spent most of their time in the laboratory rather than out in the field.

Iain opened the door of his car and slowly got out.

Pete opened his car door and then opened the back door, while making sure he was not in the line of fire from the black Mazda car.

Simon came out first and wanted to get items from the boot. “Get in there” Pete growled as he pointed at the entrance to the hospital.

Simon finally took the hint and ran into the hospital entrance.

Next Pete grabbed Sue-Lim’s hand as she moved along the back seat to get to the open door, all the while aware that this could descend into a hail of bullets.

After a tense few seconds, Sue-Lim exited the car and wanted to stand up.

“Keep down love” Pete said softly and together, they moved as fast as they could to the hospital entrance.

Inside they found Simon waiting nervously, “Someone’s trying to kill us” he said with a terrified tone

“My Davy will handle this” Pete reassured Simon
“Yes Simon” Sue-Lim agreed, “Mr Davy was an experienced police officer before he headed up the forensic lab at Metro PD”
“And he got quite a number of Metro PD officers in on this” Pete added.

“What do we do now?” Simon asked, “We need to check out that radiation signature before it goes”
“I know Simon” Pete said with a hint of exasperation, “but we need to wait until we get the all clear”

After a few minutes waiting around in reception, Pete and Sue-Lim’s supervisor, Iain, came in. He was not looking happy

“What happened?” Pete asked
“Who ever that guy tailing us is” Iain went on, “He’s claiming he’s Homeland Security”

“No” Sue-Lim let out, “Not again” she said in panic, “Not now”

Suddenly she found breathing difficult

“He’s not going to touch you” Pete told Sue-Lim and guided her to a chair

Iain came up to Sue-Lim and bent down to be at her eye level, “Sue-Lim, I am aware how you were set up and arrested by the FBI three years or so ago”

“This all brought it all back” Sue-Lim wept, “Just because my mother was Vietnamese”

“We’re taking him down town to verify his story and see how long we can hold him” Iain went on, “But even if he is Homeland Security we will be having words. As far as I’m concerned neither of you have done anything wrong, and if you were being investigated, we should have been informed as a matter of common courtesy.

A nurse came up to the group and asked if Sue-Lim was ok.

“Mrs Smith here has had a shock and needs to be checked her over” Iain instructed the nurse, “and bill it to Metro PD.” He added. Then Iain turned back to Sue-Lim, “I’ll leave you with Simon here. Carrington is just outside, and she will keep an eye on you. Pete and I will go and check out that bus station while we can”

“I’m going as well” Simon interjected, “It was my wife and child who was taken and I’m going to find them”

“No Mr Hargreaves” Iain countered, “This is police business”

“Sorry sir” Pete interrupted, “But Simon has kind of a unique perspective on this kind of thing”

“Ok” Iain relented, “It looks like just Carrington and an armed officer will be keeping Sue-Lim safe here”

“I hear my name mentioned?” a red headed woman with a Texas accent interrupted. It was Jennifer Carrington, one of the senior CSI field agents at Metro PD.

“Jennifer, we’re going to check a crime scene with specialised equipment courtesy of Pete and Mr Hargreaves from the NSA” Iain told the Texas woman, “Stay with Sue-Lim here and make sure nobody bothers her.”

“I heard there was some attempt on your life?” Jennifer said to Sue-Lim

Sue-Lim nodded

“I want to come to your baby shower so I’m not going to let anything happen to you” Jennifer told Sue-Lim in a serious tone.

“Come with me” Iain told Pete and Simon

The three of them left the hospital and got into Iain’s car.

“I’ve arranged for a squad car to escort us to the bus station” Iain told Pete and Simon, “If there are any other federal agencies involved, I want them to know that we know”

Pete once again got to ride “Shotgun” next to his supervisor while Simon sat in the back, as they drove to the old Greyhound Bus Station where Celeste and Ashia were last seen. Behind them, was a squad car from their colleagues in the Washington Metro Police Department.

Finally they arrived at the bus station

Iain, mindful that Pete and Simon would be using highly classified equipment, instructed the accompanying police officers to keep watch at a distance. He did not want to give the federal authorities two of his best CSI’s and this Simon Hargreaves on a silver plate

The bus station had been cleared in advance of passengers and bus drivers, which was not a popular move, as people had been trying to take the various night buses.

Pete pulled out a scanner that looked a bit like a Geiger counter from the trunk and consulted with Simon on the settings. Then he started a sweep.

Nothing!

Pete shook his head, the bus station was quite large and there was no way they could keep it shut down for long. Maybe they were too late and the trace had faded?

Then a thought occurred to Pete, “Sir” he called out, “We heard that there was some witness who mentioned a red swirling light”

“He’s a known drunk” Iain replied, “Metro told us he was an unreliable witness and should be disregarded.

“Sir” Pete began, “I know that I am probably breaking a few of your federal laws by mentioning this to you, but that swirling red light matches a description of something related to something we came across of three years ago”

“Don’t tell me anything you can’t Pete” Iain warned, “I have no wish to give Homeland Security anymore rope they can hang you with”

“We just need to know where this red light was” Pete pressed

Iain pointed in the direction of the exit to the where cars could drop off and pick up passengers.

Pete headed across accompanied by Simon, while his puzzled supervisor could only follow behind.

If only Pete could read in his supervisor on the work he did for the old Inter Dimensional Entity Control, but then he would think they were crazy or treating him like a fool

“This is where that drunk said he saw a red swirling light according to those who spoke to him” Iain called out.

Pete adjusted the setting on his scanner

A signal!

Pete switched a button and captured the decaying signal and waited for the read out on the frequency.

If it was a wormhole from an artificial universe, it might go some way to giving a hint at the radioactive isotopes used to power it and punch a hole into the main universe and hold it open long enough to capture Celeste and her child. From there they could probably do a police search on whoever got hold of the isotopes

“Anything?” Iain asked as he peered at the strange equipment. What he thought of them Pete could only guess

Then came the read out

Pete looked the frequency and so did Simon

The reading seemed horribly familiar.

“That’s him” Simon said nervously as he guessed the implication of the frequency reading.

“But that b*****d is supposed to be dead” Pete swore

“Who are you referring to” Iain asked as he came over to Pete and Simon

Without thinking, Simon spoke up, “Sir Sidney Gerald”

“He was a British industrialist” Iain replied, “Reported missing presumed dead three years ago. The chatter was that he had been up to something, but the British didn’t say anything either way”

“He was a bad man” Simon told Iain, again before Pete could stop him, “He tricked Celeste into working for him”.

“I take it you had a run in with him?” Iain asked

Pete nodded, “We all did in a way. As Simon says, Celeste used to work for him, but she switched sides when she found out what he was really like. That man was the one that framed Sue-Lim and tried to have her killed”

“And I’m guessing you all had a hand in his reported demise” Iain accused

Pete shrugged his shoulders, “Our organisation did.” Pete admitted,

“Are you able to say what this man did?” Iain asked Pete

Pete sighed, “Sir Sidney used his old connections from his MI5 days, to penetrate various intelligence organisations and a number of US federal agencies so he could use the intelligence for financial gain, however he never penetrated our agency, so he tried to discredit us by getting a number of our members arrested on bogus charges, like Sue-Lim. It was our agency that shut him down and exposed all those who were involved in his little spy ring. A lot of people had to resign or went to prison because of what we uncovered”

“And was Kathryn Cooper connected to this secret agency you were part of Pete?” Iain persisted

“Yes sir” Pete replied, “She was effectively the head”

“That gives us motive and links both the bombing and this kidnapping” Iain stated, “Who ever did this, was out for revenge for what you did to this Sir Sidney guy or those you brought down. Did this Sir Sidney have any relatives?”

Pete shrugged his shoulders, “we never did find out, all we know was that his parents were murdered when he was a child and he never married or showed interest in that kind of thing”

“Friends or associates?” Iain asked

“There were quite a number of former intelligence associates who as I said were brought down when his empire collapsed after he was declared dead” Pete answered back, “But none of them had the ability to”

Suddenly Peter stopped.

He almost let slip about the worm hole generators and artificial universes, which he though Simon would do

“Ability to what” Iain pressed

Pete looked down at the ground and put his hand to his head.

“I’m guessing that’s classified” Iain suggested.

“What about Janine?” Simon asked

“Who is this Janine?” Iain pressed

Pete shook his head; Simon had let the slip further information thanks to his own carelessness. “She was Sir Sidney’s PA” Pete explained, “She had a hand in designing the device that has produced the radiation signature we just detected”

“So are you allowed to say what kind of device is this?” Iain pressed

Pete reluctantly shook his head, “I just wish I could sir”

“Then I’m limited to what I can do Pete” Iain replied
“No!” Simon interrupted
“Simon” Pete said angrily

“No!” Simon insisted, “It’s my wife and child that have been taken. Simon turned to Iain “It’s a wormhole to an artificial universe” Simon told Iain, “They must opened it up and grabbed her just like they took Doctor Henshaw”

“Worm holes, artificial universes? You’re having me on aren’t you” Iain replied, looking at Pete.

Pete’s momentary silence spoke volumes.

Iain shook his head in disbelief, “Ok Pete, who was this Doctor Henshaw?” Iain asked

It was Simon who answered, “She’s an expert in M-Theory and parallel universes Mr Davy. She went back to CERN where according to the Brigadier General some bad guys took her using one”

Iain shook his head and started to walk away, and then came back to Pete and Simon, “So your organisation was something to do with alternate parallel universes then.”

“Yes sir” Pete muttered, ashamed that he had let slip this secret he and Sue-Lim had been forced to keep, “I knew you would never believe it”

Pete expected his supervisor to question his and Simon’s sanity, but instead he looked at them as if he had had an epiphany moment. “Three years ago, Venezuela claimed to have captured someone from a parallel universe” Iain went on, “But their alien seemed to disappear and it was declared a hoax”

“That was the Clan Chief of The Manjura” Simon let out.

Pete looked daggers at Simon

“So” Iain said slowly and deliberately, “Does that explain why my sister allegedly committed suicide in a psychiatric hospital after claiming that we were supposed to have been wiped out in a nuclear attack three years ago?”

To be continued

Fame, Riches, Adventure, Glory - A Cyber Warrior craves not these things

In Memorium
Wendy (AKA Romantic Old Bird) 1951 - 2008

Last edited by Sticks; 17-04-2011 at 07:06 PM. Reason: typo
Sticks is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote