View Single Post
Old 10-06-2011, 10:05 PM #9
Cyber Warrior

Cyber Warrior

Episode VI – Empire Building

Spoiler:

If you ever sup with the devil you must always use a large spoon, goes the old saying.

It is well known that democratic governments deal with those whose human rights records are questionable, just for the purposes of trade, or of some mutual interest.

Sometimes all the arms of such democratic governments are involved, but not always.

Gregory O’Doyle, former chief of G2 Special section, the arm of the Ireland’s intelligence service that dealt with the Leprechaun agents from the Mystical Realms, before the separation has gone on the run from his former G2 colleagues after disagreeing about a perceived change of policy concerning the former minor spirits of virtue, especially Caer and Fidelity O’Docherty, who he discovered were being tailed by a CIA agent.

After fleeing to Wales and then travelling down to London on the train, Gregory has been contacted by the American National Security Agency. This super secretive agency appears to be in a turf war with other elements of the US intelligence community, and they have asked Gregory to meet someone arriving in London. While heading out to Heathrow on the London Underground to meet this person, a young American woman who knows who he is has pushed a gun into his side and ordered him not to look round”

+ + +

On board a Westbound Piccadilly line train
On the London Underground

“Who are you” Gregory growled quietly, “CIA?”

“Quiet” the woman responded angrily, “Are you trying to get us killed?”
“You’re the one with the gun” Gregory replied
“Yeah” the woman replied, “And at the next stop we are going to get off this train”

“How did a pretty thing like you” Gregory whispered, “Get involved in a dirty trade like this?”

The woman jabbed the gun into Gregory’s side again, “I said quiet”

The train started slowing as the train approached a station. Gregory looked out, it was Turnham Green.

Again Gregory glanced as best as he could around the carriage. There were not many people on it, but even so, for a woman to pull a gun on him; in what was also monitored by CCTV was something else.

Whatever this turf war the Americans were having, they were certainly playing hard ball as the yanks put it, especially as this woman was pulling a gun on him in broad daylight. What was nauseating to Gregory about this sordid affair was that his own beloved G2 he had faithfully served had obviously joined forces with one of the factions. Why else would they have not taken action against that CIA officer who had tailed the O’Docherty twins?

Maybe they had, by taking out the CIA officer when he was in G2 custody?

But what about the evidence he detected of the use of an artificial wormhole? Why was anyone using one, when even they could not penetrate the radiation barrier keeping Earth and the Mystical Realms separate?

“This is our stop Mr O’Doyle” the woman said in a quiet cold yet seemingly angry manner, “Now get up slowly and no tricks and head for the door”, and then she emphasised the word “slowly”

As the train came to a stop, Gregory picked up his bags, and headed for the door. He was certain he could take this woman down as he was an experienced G2 officer long before he was selected for the Special Section, but somehow he wondered if the passage of time would have made him slow. He thought back to how he tackled that man who turned out to be CIA, back in Dublin.

The CIA man however had been different, as he was not aware of him, but this woman looked like a real pro, the way she had shadowed him apparently from Euston Station and across two different tube lines.

As Gregory headed for the door he was aware of other passengers disembarking from the carriage as other people got on. Some were leaving the carriage while others were getting on. Maybe they had just realised it was their stop.

Gregory stepped onto the platform and made to head towards the exit, but instead the American woman came in front of him to block his path so he was between her and the train. Behind him he heard the injunction to stand clear of the doors coming from the trains public address system.

He could now guess what she was going to do. As soon as the train had started, she would push him off of the platform, to get caught in the departing train, making it look like an accident. She had already changed her appearance once, so perhaps she could do it again to make good her escape from what was after all, not really a main underground station.

“Who’s paying you?” he tried to ask, but suddenly she pushed him through the doors as they closed shut.

As the train started moving, Gregory heard someone on the platform thump on the doors as the train pulled out of the station.

Someone late for the train?

The American woman put her gun away, “Sorry about that Mr O’Doyle” the woman told him, “you were being followed, so I had to make them think I was taking you off of the train. As soon as they were well away from the doors, I had to get you back on the train, so they would be left behind, most likely MI5 working for G2”

“Then why didn’t you warn me” Gregory growled
“I couldn’t tip them off” the American woman replied, “I was hoping they would think I was from another agency or even another country”

“So who are you?” Gregory asked, “CIA, NSA?”

“I was” the American woman whispered, while making sure nobody else was listening in, “IDEC, or at least a marine on attachment to it”

Gregory swallowed hard, “I thought that agency was disbanded like Special section was”

“They were and all those who served were hung out to dry by an ungrateful administration” the American woman said with venom, “As I was a military attachment they had me discharged and called it spending cuts, but in reality it amounted to a dishonourable discharge in all but name, and as a result we lost our pensions and benefits”
“Just like how they got rid of me then” Gregory replied, “But tell me something, where did you learn that manoeuvre with the train doors”

“I picked it up from another marine” The American woman answered, “He used it once before on the Underground a few years ago when he was being followed by former members of the British IDEC who didn’t like the then change in policy towards IDE’s”

“You’re talking about Brigadier General Samuel Peters” Gregory asserted
“Yeah” the American Woman replied, “And whoever is pulling strings has ordered him to come to London with another former army officer who was framed and railroaded out of the IDEC even before the separation”

Gregory and the American woman sat down, “So who was following me” Gregory asked

“I’m not sure” the American woman replied, “All we know is that our Homeland Security and the State Department has been engaging with someone”

“Who seems to be running a certain former industrialist’s empire” Gregory interrupted

“Yeah” The American woman replied, “Homeland Security contacted me and ordered me to meet them at Heathrow.” The American woman paused and then asked, “Do you know a certain Vice Admiral Quentin? He officially retired the other day”

“So you’re NSA” Gregory whispered.

“I’m freelancing” The American woman corrected, “He wasn’t to happy how things went, and with the department of defence and department of justice being sidelined by Homeland Security”

“You’re like a double agent” Gregory observed.

“Which is stupid” the American woman replied, “As we are supposed to be one the same side”

“So I’m to meet the Brigadier General then” Gregory asked

“Not openly” The American woman replied, “Homeland Security seem to be holding something over his head. The Vice admiral wasn’t sure, but suspects it is something to do with a former minor spirit he took to the states who is wanted for murder in this country”

Gregory shook his head in disbelief and looked at the floor of the underground train, “It seems our government are about to betray the former minors in Ireland as well to your homeland security. I caught a CIA officer who was tailing a couple of ex-minors. I thought we would expel him, but instead I was reprimanded and someone managed to kill him in his holding cell”

“S**t” the American woman swore, “That figures” she added, “They seem to have allied themselves to Homeland Security nowadays”

“So is there anything you can tell me?” Gregory whispered as he looked around at the other passengers who seemed disinterested in them.

“The Vice Admiral thinks it’s something to do with the old IDEC” The American woman answered, “Before the separation it was run under the department of defence”

“But what would be the point” Gregory asked, “The radiation barrier”

“We don’t know” The American woman answered, “Like I said the department of defence has been sidelined along with the DOJ”

“What’s your name” Gregory then asked
“Sandra” the American woman replied, “Sandra Philips”

+ + +

The McDonalds on Western Avenue
Washington DC
United States of America

Walter Quentin sat with Jack Maddox, his former sparring partner from the FBI as they had breakfast in a quiet corner of the restaurant. They chose the corner as it was near a door that most people did not really want to sit by.

Walter looked at his watch, “Their plane should be landing soon in London” Walter said to Jack
“I can’t believe how they excluded you Walter” Jack sympathised as he drank his coffee.
“I can’t either Jack” Walter replied, “It’s like Homeland Security want to run the whole show. As soon as I wasn’t needed, John cut me loose and kicked me out the door”
“I hear that they have been speaking to the MOJ” Jack said quietly to Walter, “It looks like they want to take over the investigation in to Kathryn’s murder and most likely fold it from my sources”

“I know its early days Jack but how is your investigation?” Walter asked, “Any other leads?”

Jack shook his head, “Standard pipe bomb construction with a sophisticated electronic detonator. No specific bomb maker signature that matches our database. The explosive was C4 and could have come from anywhere. It almost feels like it was the work of say some military sabotage black ops unit, if I didn’t know any better. Not the quality of your standard hit man or fanatic.”

“Think about it Jack” Walter whispered, to avoid being overheard by two other diners who were looking for a table to sit, “The report of the red dot at the place where Celeste and her child were taken indicates someone with access to that technology we discussed earlier. If it’s rouge IDEC agents from the old days, with their military background, getting past FBI security and planting a bomb would be child’s play. I told you, they were the crème of UK Special forces and trained to be ghosts”

“From what you told me Walter” Jack responded, “They would have to be the most likely suspects except for one thing”
“What’s that?”
“From what we could get from immigration before they started stonewalling the bureau”
“I hope your not going to say that there were no reports of British SAS coming into the country” Walter interrupted, “Because I told you, they were trained to be ghosts and would never show up on any immigration checks. They would not come in together, most likely enter the country from a variety of entry points, even unofficially”

Just then the two of them were aware of two men looking like they were from SWAT, while a third man in a suit came up from behind. He was an African American in a dark blue suit.

Walter looked up with irritation, “What brings you here John” Walter asked

“You’re under arrest Vice Admiral” the African American replied in a cold manner

Walter stood up, which prompted the other men in the swat style uniforms to point their guns at him and cock the triggers.

“On what charge, John” Walter asked angrily

“Let’s start with High Treason and work our way up from there” the African American replied.
“You’re kidding” Walter retorted
“I’m deadly serious” The African American replied, “We have been intercepting calls from you for some time. We know all about your calls to a known rouge agent of an allied power”

Walter looked at him with a moment’s incomprehension, it was obvious that he was referring to his phone conversation with former G2 Special Section chief, Gregory O’Doyle, But why were they targeting him?

“As for your successor at the NSA” the African American went on, “He has been detained as well while we investigate him for possible offences against the patriot act”

Walter shook his head slightly, “Why, he knows nothing of our dealings with IDW01. John, you’ve gone too far” Walter said angrily,

“So who’s running the NSA?” Jack asked without thinking
“If it’s anything to do with you, a representative from Homeland Security will be temporarily in charge while we carry out further investigations into malpractice”

Walter fixed an angry stare at the African American “You’ve been itching to take the NSA away from the Department for Defence for along time now”

“And need I remind you Vice Admiral,” the African American said slowly and deliberately, “It was under the DOD That Earth fell”
“But it was our people that made sure that never happened, not Homeland Security” Walter spat back

“Don’t give them an excuse Walter” Jack interrupted as he eyed the trigger happy swat looking men and the other teams of men looking like SWAT entering the restaurant, “I’d hate to loose an old sparring partner”

“I think you should listen to your friend Vice Admiral” the African American said in his slow and deliberate manner with a hint of anger. “From what I read in the report, it was a close run thing, that’s why we in Homeland Security had the agency responsible shut down as soon as possible by the Vice President, since the President was overseas.”
“But like I asked why my successor” Walter asked angrily, “I told you, he’s had nothing to do with the IDEC, he was never even read in about it”

“Lets just say” the African American went on, “It’s time the NSA had a bit more accountability”

“We are accountable god damn it” Walter retorted, “We are accountable to the Joint Chiefs and the Prresident”
“Not to Homeland Security, but that’s going to change” the African American replied, and then he said to the two swat like team members, “Take him”

The two armed men each grabbed one of Walter’s arms and started dragging him out of the door, whilst a third swat style man pointed a gun a Jack Maddox.

“As for you Director Maddox” the African American continued, “I’ve been speaking to the DOJ about bringing your agency into line as well and I have got them to agree to put you on immediate unpaid administrative leave pending an investigation into your conduct and that of various members of the FBI. Now hand me over your gun and your security pass”

Jack looked up at the African American with shock and controlled anger and started reaching for his pass and gun as requested.

“Slowly” the African American said forcefully

Jack nodded and delicately extracted the required items and placed them on the table in front of him.

The African American signalled to one of the swat style men and he picked up the gun and the pass.

“Since when did homeland security start empire building?” Jack asked

“Since nine eleven showed us we had to, to keep this country safe” the African, “It wasn’t Homeland Security who was asleep on the job back then” American replied. After that he turned around and left, with the swat style member leaving behind him”

+ + +

Head Quarters of Metro PD Forensic Laboratory
Washington DC, United States of America

The morning had worn on as Pete’s supervisor Iain Davy tracked down supplies for a wormhole generator. Both Simon and Pete knew that they could never use it to connect to the Mystical Realms; the radioactive remains from an exploded hydrogen bomb between the two universes prevented that. Simon, however, was convinced that he could replicate what Major Mark Johnston had done just over three years previously, use it to locate and gate into an artificial universe being operated somewhere in the world. Now they had to wait.

Waiting was something Simon found hard to do.

“I hate sitting here” Simon complained, “What’s keeping him”

“What’s that?” Pete said, distracted after hanging up from his phone call to Sue-Lim, his very pregnant wife being kept in at the George Washington University Hospital.

Iain’s deputy, Jennifer Carrington had used Sue-Lim’s panic attack the evening before when they had learned they had been tailed to the hospital by someone from Homeland Security, as an excuse to get the hospital to keep her in and prevent anyone from Homeland Security taking her into custody. So far the gambit had been working, and they had managed to prevent Homeland Security agents from taking Sue-Lim into what they called “Protective custody”.

“I hate sitting here” Simon repeated

Pete sighed. He wanted to ask Simon if it was too much to expect him to ask how Sue-Lim was, but then he had to remember at least he knew where his wife was. Simon’s wife and child were still missing, possibly dead

“I know” Pete replied and then paused. “Wait a minute Simon, I have an idea” Pete spoke up, “Remember how the very first artificial universe worked”

“We never got the chance to reverse engineer it” Simon replied, “Commander Mark and Miss Green sent it off to us, but by the time it arrived we had that problem with the capture of the Clan Chief of the Manjura”

“Yeah” Pete replied, “I remember that was all put on hold, but that’s not the one I was referring to”

“Huh?” Simon said, confused, “But that was the one Sir Sidney first used”

“Your forgetting that incident with the shut down of the World of Warcraft, that former adventurer Mr Andrews engineered about five years ago, give or take”

Simon shook his head in confusion

Simon sighed again, “Remember that IDW01 was created and populated with entities and creatures of our fiction, mythology, ideals and religions somehow from the human collective unconsciousness?”

“Uh-huh” Simon replied sceptically

“Because the players of the World of Warcraft were concentrating so much on their games, whatever it was that created IDW01 created some kind of bubble universe or something within the servers that ran the World of Warcraft.” Pete went on.

“A bubble universe?” Simon said with a sceptical tone

“Whatever it was Simon” Pete continued, “According to the Journals that Graeme Andrews sent to G2 Special section, which they copied to us, back then, during the civil war on IDW01 a number of the fairer races hid in the World of Warcraft as if it were another universe, including the Clan Chief of the Manjura except he was known back then as the Prince Low Troll. Now when the Spirit of Lust got into the World of Warcraft, Simon, it was Graeme Andrews who somehow used his knowledge and consciousness of computing to start shutting the World of Warcraft down trapping her inside it”

Simon looked puzzled, “But I thought according to Brigadier General Peters she was the one who helped defeat Sir Sidney?”

“Yes she was” Pete sighed, “But back then it was the old UK IDEC running the show under Mr Blue”

“I heard we was a horrible man” Simon interrupted

“Yeah he was” Pete agreed, “Luckily Sue-Lim, Jason and I didn’t have much to do with him down at the Annex”

Simon was even more puzzled, “Jason?” he asked

Pete sighed and put his face in his hands for a moment as he remembered his long dead friend.

“He was Jason Turner” Pete explained, “Jason, Sue-Lim and I all sort of grew up together and worked in the Annex in England when the Brits ran the IDEC”

“What happened to him?” Simon asked, sensing that he was probably no longer in the land of the living from the way Pete had acted.

“He was one of those killed in the ambush on Karam Tag Chou when we went up against the Magnus Timor cult”

“Oh” Simon said quietly

“Any way” Pete then started back up, “It was a rouge IDEC technician by the name of Timothy Zachary who somehow managed to rescue her from the world of Warcraft when it was collapsing and he imprisoned her form electronically in an IDEC supercomputer or something like that after reverse engineering how such an artificial universe might work, but I digress. The point I was trying to get to, was that before Graeme defeated her, in this World of Warcraft place, when she was throwing her fireballs around, Graeme noticed that parts of what looked like a realistic medieval world became like line drawings”

“Meaning?” Simon asked, now lost as to what Pete was driving at

“It means that to run an artificial universe requires heavy computing power” Pete explained

Simon thought for a moment, but according to what Celeste once said about the first time she was sent to Sir Sidney’s artificial universe, it was just like glass cages and looked like line drawings”

“Because” Pete went on, “When Sir Sidney stole Timothy’s research for his artificial universe, he was not trying to recreate a medieval world, which cut down on processor and RAM requirements, but that’s not the point”

“What do you mean?” Simon again asked

“Like I said” Pete continued, “The very first one was created accidentally in the servers and the networks that made up the world of Warcraft, and that would have caused at the time some sort of data trace that the system admins would not have realised was a bubble universe in it”

Simon shook his head, “But Pete” he objected, “If it was shut down, that trace would have been lost”

Pete grinned, “Your forgetting the Internet Archive, the data trace signal, may still be there for the brief time before World of Warcraft was shut down. We know then that was so all we have to do is hack into those archive servers while we are waiting for Mr Davy, locate the signal, and look at Sir Sidney’s systems from three years ago for a similar signal, and that may help us track down which servers are being used this time.”

“It sounds like a long shot” Simon complained

“Better than just sitting here on our backsides Simon” Pete replied.

+ + +

Heathrow Terminal Five
International Arrivals, London
England

Brigadier Samuel Peters followed the mysterious Mr Ex as they left baggage claim. Tania was following behind. Luckily they had managed to get her past immigration in spite of her official criminal record following her court marshal.

Samuel was reminded that the last time Tania was in England, was when she had left from Luton Airport with the former minor spirit of kindness, Rebecca Sands. Unfortunately that time, the plane they had been on had been diverted to New York, where Tania and Rebecca had been arrested thanks to an identity thief, and although the civilian authorities had cleared Tania, she was later convicted by a court marshal of bringing the army into disrepute. A court marshal that had been rigged by the very man they were under orders to do a deal with.

As the three of them walked into the throng that was arrivals, Samuel spotted a familiar figure he had not seen since he had last met her on IDW01.

It was former Captain Sandra Phillips.

Samuel remembered how in the other timeline she had been the leader of a small team at the main city on the central plain and that they had been slaughtered, and Sandra had been rescued from execution by fairies, formed some kind of attachment to him in South Georgia, but had been killed by a being claiming to be an angel.

In this timeline, Sandra and her team had been sent home. In respect of how she had performed in the alternate timeline had kept from her commanding officers the fact that Sandra had taken to going topless when talking with trolls, in accordance with troll conventions, to gain their respect,. He had owed her that much, but why did that Sir Sidney want her as well?

Wasn’t it enough he had ordered Tania along so he could gloat at just how far his reach still was?

“Miss Phillips” Mr Ex spoke up as he met, “So glad you could join us. Is the car waiting?”
“Yes sir” Sandra replied, with a tint of anger in her voice, “They rang twenty minutes ago sir”
“Sorry about that” Mr Ex sneered, “Immigration took slightly longer than I would have liked”

Samuel noticed Sandra eyeing Tania with suspicion.

“So I see” Sandra retorted, “If you must bring convicted criminals along”
“Hey” Tania remarked, “Miami PD cleared me”
“Yeah honey” Sandra sneered, “Because they didn’t have the time to deal with the likes of you. Good job you didn’t get away with it at the court marshal.”

Samuel saw Tania shake her head, “That court marshal was rigged” Tania spat back

“That’s what they all say” Sandra reciprocated, “The stockade is full of the like of you claiming that, honey”

Sandra turned to Mr Ex, “Why do we need her?” she asked angrily, “She is a disgrace to everybody in uniform who served in IDECM”

Mr Ex looked perturbed, so Samuel thought, that the two women that Sir Sidney had demanded to see were at daggers drawn.What was wrong with Captain Phillips? Was she like those morons in the army who refused to admit that there courts marshal judicial process had been compromised?

“That’s enough” Mr Ex snapped back at Sandra, “Our host has requested Miss McCaskey’s presence just like he has requested yours”

“Doesn’t mean I have to like it Sir” Sandra continued to snap back, “A lot of people were disgusted that the likes of her cast a shadow on what we were doing”

“Are you going to let her get away with this?” Tania asked Samuel

Samuel groaned inwardly, he did not relish the idea of being involved in a cat fight. He had worked with both sides, and Tania was right, but having a relationship with a drow while they were dealing with trolls who had been allied to the drow’a arch rivals?

“Captain” Samuel addressed Sandra, “Our host …”

Immediately Mr Ex cut him off, “I don’t think we want to reveal our host’s identity here” he said bluntly

“Why?” Samuel countered, “The three of us know who it is?”

“Who is it?” Sandra asked
“I would prefer to reveal that later at our meeting” Mr Ex went on, “That way I can ensure that Miss Phillips is not wearing a wire”

“What?” Sandra said with incredulity and pointed at Tania, “That b***h is the criminal here not me”

It seemed to Samuel that Tania was finally succumbing to Sandra’s goading, and was trying to move on Sandra.

With out thinking Samuel grabbed Tania to hold her back

“What does it feel like to not be trusted now ah” Tania shouted at Sandra

“Oh no you don’t” Sandra spat back and made a lunge for Tania.

It was hard enough restraining Tania, but now Samuel was caught in the middle of these two rivals.

Sandra tried to grab Tania, but in the process smashed into Samuel.

For the one time only, Samuel was glad that Mr Ex was there, as he grabbed hold of Tania, while Samuel held on to Sandra, as they both tried to get away to fight each other.

“I said enough” Mr Ex said angrily, “The pair of you”

Samuel noticed that two police officers were coming towards them, this was going to be a long day.

Mr Ex spotted them as well and produced from somewhere some kind of security pass. That of a Federal Marshal

Fake obviously as Mr Ex seemed more like CIA

“We have this under control officers” Mr Ex called out to the approaching police officers, “These two have history, that’s all”

“Well makes sure no further fights break out” one of the policemen retorted.

“They won’t” Mr Ex reassured the police officers
“We’re fine” Samuel added

“You don’t need us then?” the same police officer asked.
Samuel shook his head and the two police officers moved away while Samuel and Mr Ex manhandled Sandra and Tania out towards the exit to the airport.

Mr Ex turned to both Sandra and Tania, “Consider yourselves both on report for this act of unprofessionalism”
“She started it” Tania responded
“And I’m ending it both of you” Mr Ex said in a cold angry tone, “Is that understood? We are here to negotiate with our host, new access to IDW01, not to have locked up for starting a cat fight at Heathrow Airport. Is that clear”

“Yes sir” Tania answered
“Crystal” Sandra replied.

“I do not want you fighting, or bickering, the pair of you” Mr Ex went on as Samuel stood by, “Miss Phillips, I do not care what you lot in Inter Dimensional Entity Control Military thought of Miss McCaskey’s’ trial. Our host requested her, and that should be enough. Miss McCaskey, need I remind you what you have at stake in this”

The two women glowered at each other.

Mr Ex let go of Tania and signalled to Samuel to let go of Sandra

There was a pause that seemed like eternity, as Samuel expected the fight to start up again, but it did not.

“The car is this way” Sandra said with venom and headed out towards the exit.

Samuel followed Mr Ex and Tania.

Just then he was aware of something in his pocket. Surreptitiously he took it out. It was a simple mobile phone showing that a text message had come in.

Samuel briefly looked at the phone. Obviously the fight had been provoked so Sandra could slip him the phone, but why?

Who was she working for?

Samuel read the text

“We need to talk – text me back – Gregory ODoyle”

+ + +

A dark plane in an unknown artificial universe

Charlene had sat naked on her bed in her glass cell for sometime with her head in her hands and her back to Celeste.

Celeste, felt guilty that she was clothed and Charlene was not. It was not right. Celeste felt she was the one who had forfeited the right to clothing a long time ago when she had worked for Sir Sidney. She also thought she had forfeited that right when she had inadvertently killed Brameana, the Lord Low Troll’s estranged daughter, even though everyone else had said it was self defence and justifiable.

It was a pain that had gnawed at her these three long years, but then her beloved Simon was one of those who believed it had been unavoidable, and she did not want to upset him, plus, she had been constantly reminded that in the society where she had made her home, living as a human, people were not made to go naked if they had caused offence.

It was not as if she even liked going about naked in public in fact the being the others referred to as angels had been right that she was never into exhibitionism., It was however her upbringing in a certain hobbit village that made her feel, she ought to go unclothed as a sort of penance. In that village, if you offended against the community, you forfeited the right to clothing and had to go naked until the elders of the village had decided you could wear clothes again.

“Charlene” Celeste gently called out

Charlene lifted her head up slowly, “I can’t believe I’m helping that b*****d expand his empire again”

There was an uneasy silence before Celeste spoke up

“Maybe my Simon will figure a way to get us out” Celeste spoke up nervously, “I mean they gated into this artificial universe before when I was last imprisoned here and they got us out”

Charlene turned around to face Celeste, “I hope not Celeste” she said, her face looking pale, “For their sakes”

“Why?” Celeste asked with horror in her voice

“Sir Sidney has booby trapped this artificial universe” Charlene explained, “Anyone using a wormhole generator to break in here will receive a lethal dose of gamma rays”

A cold chill went down Celeste’s spine, Trying to break in here would be exactly what her Simon might try if he knew they were in an artificial universe, and there was no way to warn him.

+ + +

Outside George Washington University Hospital
Washington DC
United States of America

Jennifer Carrington was waiting outside a hospital ward with another officer from the Washington Metro Police Department for her colleague Sue-Lim. The hospital was considering discharging her after keeping her in for observation overnight. According to them, she was not ready just yet to have her baby, especially as the due date was not for at least two weeks.

Sue-Lim just needed to have a visit from a doctor to confirm this, and then Jennifer and the accompanying officer were supposed to take her back to the lab.

Jennifer spotted a group of men, dressed like SWAT following an African American approaching down the corridor.
“Not again” Jennifer whispered under her breath.

“You say something mam” The police officer asked.
“It looks like Homeland Security again” Jennifer told the police officer, “We are not to let them take Sue-Lim”

“But they’re Homeland Security?” The police officer questioned
“They still should not be above the law” Jennifer retorted. “Go and call Detective Iain Davy and tell him” she ordered.

“But mam, my orders” the police officer objected.

Jennifer looked daggers at the police officer, “DO IT” she ordered.

“Yes mam” the officer said nervously and walked away, leaving Jennifer in front of the door to the hospital ward alone

The group of men came to a stop in front of her. Full automatic rifles at the ready, with the African American in a dark blue suit and tie

“You are ordered to step aside Officer Carrington” the African American ordered.

“On whose authority” Jennifer asked in a steely voice

“Homeland Security” the African American said in a brusque manner
“What business do you have here” Jennifer persisted
“That’s classified” the African American replied, again in an off hand manner, “Now step aside”
“You’re here to arrest Mrs Sue-Lim Smith aren’t you?” Jennifer challenged, “Like yesterday when someone saying they were from Homeland Security tried”

“Why we are here is none of your concern officer Carrington” The African American persisted, “Now step aside, that’s an order”

“Funny” Jennifer retorted, “I never got the memo where I was transferred to Homeland Security and took orders from you. Last time I checked I took my orders from Detective Iain Davy at Metro PD”
“Unless you want to be charged with obstruction of justice” the African American went on, “I suggest you step aside”

“So you have come to arrest Sue-Lim then” Jennifer snapped back

“Let’s just say we are dealing with a person of interest in a matter of national security, Officer Carrington” The African American replied

“And you have a warrant?” Jennifer asked
“We are Homeland Security” The African American insisted, “We don’t need one”
“That’s funny too” Jennifer responded, “And here was I under the impression that even federal agents, like those coming under Homeland Security needed a warrant to arrest someone without probable cause”

“We don’t need warrants” African American insisted, “Because we have all the powers we need under the Patriot Act

“I beg to differ sir” Jennifer replied, “I helped my sister back in Houston study for her law exams last month where we studied the Patriot Act, and I do not recall anything in it that gives you the power to arrest US citizens without a warrant or probable cause”

“I don’t have time for this” The African American said with a hint of irritation in his voice, “Either you step aside or I will have my men remove you”

“And you would do that” Jennifer asked

The African American ignored this question and signalled to one of the men in SWAT style uniform, who started to move towards Jennifer

“You touch me” Jennifer said with a touch of alarm, “And you will be guilty of assaulting a police officer in the course of their duty”

“As if we would be concerned about something like that” The African American sneered

“But I would” came a voice from behind the group

It was Iain Davy

“I came here to see how one of my team was doing and I find you here” Iain went on as he walked up to the African American

“Detective Iain Davy” the African American said coldly, “Order your subordinate to step aside we have a person of interest to take into custody”

“I will give no such order” Iain replied, “You have no constitutional right to take anyone of my team in to custody, especially someone who is heavily pregnant and is under the care of the hospital. You try and I will arrange for certain members of your oversight committee and the Government Accountability Office to investigate your unconstitutional use of paramilitary force here and your disregard for protocols which are required of all federal agencies”

“Oh really Mr Davy” the African American responded, “We have a job to do here. And that’s to make sure we never have another nine eleven”

“Oh Please don’t give me that nine eleven cr*p” Iain countered, “I served in the US Air force during Operation Enduring Freedom, I know all about true patriotism There is no justification for using what happened on Nine Eleven to trample over the United States Constitution. You do that and the terrorists win, and my service in the defeat of the Taliban back then was in vain. I’m just waiting for you to give me an excuse to have your sorry unconstitutional a**e hauled before the appropriate congressional committee to expose you for who you really are”

For about a minute of eternity the two men squared up to each other.

“We’ll play it your way Mr Davy, we’ll be back with a warrant to take Sue-Lim Smith into custody on treason charges” the African American said with venom, and then signalled to the men dressed like SWAT to follow him as he headed out of the hospital.

“I’m so glad you are here” Jennifer confessed, “Were you really on your way to see Sue-Lim”

“Not really I was arranging for a delivery of some special equipment to the lab” Iain admitted, “And I got a call from Maddox of the FBI, Homeland Security have arrested the former director of the NSA on similar bogus charges. I suspected that they might go after Pete or Sue-Lim next, and since Pete is back at the lab I suspected that they might consider Sue-Lim a soft target to get at Pete through her. I was already in reception when I got the call from the accompanying officer”

“Well I’m so glad you were here” Jennifer confessed, “I don’t think I could have held them off much longer”
“Last time I checked Jennifer” Iain went on, “I was not aware that his branch of homeland security had their own armed officers like the ones that were here, or the powers to make an arrest”
“It’s like some military take over Iain” Jennifer added, “accusing Sue-Lim of High Treason, that’s just plain crazy and wrong”
“I agree, and it looks like we are going to need some high class lawyers here, but for the moment there is no need to tell Sue-Lim about this” Iain advised, “She has enough to worry about”.

“We’ve only delayed him Iain” Jennifer said quietly, “He’ll easily find a compliant judge to sign a warrant; Homeland Security seems to believe that they can do the heck they like and they usually can”
“I know” Iain replied, “If they don’t discharge Sue-Lim we will have to find someway of keeping them at bay, while we investigate who sent Sue-Lim that Scarf and who abducted Celeste and her child. I just wish we could investigate the assassination of that NSA official as well. Homeland Security has taken that one off of the FBI. My guess is that they don’t want that bombing and this abduction being investigated, and I want to know why”

“You believe this is all connected Iain” Jennifer asked

Iain nodded, “As well as what I heard from Maddox of the FBI, Pete took me into a confidence which for your sake I have to keep from you this time.”
“I understand Ian” Jennifer replied
“If I go down Jennifer, I want you running the lab, you’re the only one I trust” Iain admitted
“Ok, I’ll stay here at the hospital” Jennifer volunteered, “that way they can’t pin anything on me”
“I’ll send Ross out to keep you company because I need to get back to the lab, and he would make a fine deputy should the worse happen” Iain told Jennifer before adding, “The equipment that Pete asked for should be there by now”
“That’s that secret device thing isn’t it” Jennifer asked
“Just make sure you keep out of that one too Jennifer” Iain told Jennifer, “I would hate to think what would happen if Homeland Security found out about it”

With that Iain left

Just then a nurse came out and Jennifer turned to face her. “Is she ready?” Jennifer asked

“No, I’m afraid not” the nurse replied, “I’m not sure but it looks like Mrs Smith might be going into premature labour”

The nurse then disappeared into the ward

“That’s just great” Jennifer swore under her breath, now Sue-Lim and her baby would be sitting ducks at the mercy of Homeland Security’s empire

+ + +

A warehouse in London

The car came to a halt outside the warehouse. The atmosphere in the car had seemed frosty between the two women and there had been a stony silence between the two. Samuel had the feeling that while Sandra may have staged the fight to slip him the mobile phone, Tania was not in on it.

“This is where I was asked to take you guv” the driver told Mr Ex

“Thanks Mr Fellows” Mr Ex replied, “Make sure our bags get to the hotel ok, I have phoned ahead. We’ll call when we need you”

“Yes guv” the driver replied

Samuel got out, followed by the two women, each one getting out on opposite sides of the car. They then waited for the car to drive out of site.

Samuel wondered if Sandra would go easy on Tania now or keep it up to maintain her cover. Samuel looked at the warehouse. “It looks abandoned” Samuel commented

“Our instructions are to go inside” Mr Ex said in his cold tones, ignoring what Samuel had said.

The four of them walked up to the front door. Its lock had been forced open. Mr Ex pulled the door opened, and went in, followed by Tania and then Sandra.

Samuel was left outside and was tempted to phone Gregory O’Doyle, but could he get away with it?

“Are you coming Brigadier General?” Samuel heard Mr Ex call out, the opportunity to make that call was lost. It was so frustrating, if only he could get away and call his former friend from G2 Special section.

Gregory entered into the warehouse.

It was deserted and run down. No sign of some secret hideout, so why come here?

Then he saw it, a red dot forming in mid air and building into a vortex.

It was then that Samuel saw what appeared to be a webcam in one of the roof struts looking down at them.

“I suspect that is where we will be meeting Sir Sidney” Mr Ex said as he strode towards the red vortex as it increased in size, “Clever isn’t it” he added, “A perfect way to throw off anyone who may be tailing us.”

“Sir Sidney?” Sandra said in astonishment, “But I was told that he was dead”
“You’ve been misinformed” Mr Ex replied, “We are negotiating with him for renewed access to IDW01 or if you prefer, The Mystical Realms”

Sandra turned round and stared briefly at Samuel. It was a look that he had found haunting, as if he had personally betrayed her, because he had not been able to reveal to her who they were meeting.

The vortex reached its full size and so Mr Ex walked into it. Tania followed Mr Ex into the vortex who was in turn followed by Sandra.

Samuel saw his chance and pulled out the phone and hit the speed dial.

Gregory picked up almost immediately, “Brigadier General?” Gregory asked
“No time to talk, our adversary is Sir Sidney Gerald” Samuel said quickly and hung up before following the others into the red vortex

Samuel found himself with the others in what appeared to be on a black plane.

“What kept you?” Mr Ex asked
“I always have to psyche myself up to go through these things” Samuel lied

Just then, another red dot appeared in front of them. This would be the vortex to take them to where ever on the planet Sir Sidney was hiding out.

+ + +

Head Quarters of Metro PD Forensic Laboratory
Washington DC, United States of America

Simon was thrilled to get the equipment to build a wormhole generator and had the specifications and plans for one displayed on one of Metro PD’s laptops as he constructed it.

Pete was elsewhere, probably trying to hack into various servers, seeing if he could locate where Celeste might be held in an artificial universe in cyberspace. Simon had wanted Pete to assist in constructing the generator, but Pete had said he might be close to locating the servers that were hosting this artificial universe

In addition to this Simon had overheard a rumour floating around the lab that Sue-Lim might be having her baby and Pete had probably gone to the hospital, but that could not be right! She was not due yet

Anyway, Simon did not need Pete for this job, as building a wormhole generator for him was child’s play. It would not look pretty, but it did not have to. So long as he could feed the data trace in, it would sweep out of this universe and look for the tell tale sign of the bubble universe as Pete put it, that had been generated artificially somewhere next to this universe.

Simon added the last component as he inserted the radio active isotope to power the make shift generator.

It was ready to switch on, but he had to be careful. Any attempt to open a wormhole to the Mystical Realms would result in a flood of lethal radiation coming through from the radiation barrier caused by the hydrogen bomb that had detonated between the two worlds three years previously.

But there was no danger of that, Simon had made sure this generator would not be looking for that universe. This one was to hunt down and enter the artificial universe that might be holding his wife and daughter.

Simon looked up the data trace and dialled it in. This would make his wormhole generator hunt in the area of where the artificial universe might be located, and then it would just be a matter of fine tuning.

“Is that it?” Iain asked from behind, “It looks like a Geiger Counter”

Simon turned round to face Pete’s supervisor

“Yes Mr Davy” Simon replied, “It’s a wormhole generator”

“Is it ready?” Iain asked

Again Simon nodded, “I’ll get it working” Simon told Iain and reached for the switch to turn it on…

To be continued

Fame, Riches, Adventure, Glory - A Cyber Warrior craves not these things

In Memorium
Wendy (AKA Romantic Old Bird) 1951 - 2008
Sticks is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote