Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

BB12 Big Brother 12 started on Thursday Sept 9th 2011 on Channel 5 for a 9-week run. The series was won by Aaron. Tell us what you thought about the housemates and series in this forum.

Old 11-11-2011, 03:08 PM #51
Fighting the PC Culture

Favourites (more):
CBB9: Karissa & Kristina Shannon
BB13 USA: Rachel
Fighting the PC Culture

Favourites (more):

I think the US format is better and the concept is better because it's closer to being an actual social experiment in that it's far more self-contained than BBUK. That's because the houseguests know that ultimately they will decide who wins. BBUK ultimately is a popularity contest so the houseguests know they have to cater to the outside world as much as to each other.

That said, even though the format is superior I think the editing is bad. Hardly a minute can go by in the regular show without them using some type of dramatic music. And I hate it that the houseguests are not presented as 3 dimensional people. Instead, the people who do the editing practically decide how you feel about certain people. The "heroes" and the "villains" when in reality everyone is a mixture of both.
Liberty4eva is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 03:45 PM #52
Mokka

Favourites (more):
BB19: Tomasz
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

Mokka

Favourites (more):
BB19: Tomasz
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty4eva View Post
The only season that I would call too predictable was season 12 with the brigade. Last year there were no close votes. This season there were many close votes and there was more fighting. Who could have predicted Shelly would backstab her favorite houseguest ever, Jeff? Who could have predicted she would vote for Rachel to win Big Brother and be the swing vote to do so? Rachel making it to the final 2 is almost a miracle.
Shelly backstabbing = predictable. Did you not see her in the diary room and how sneakily she played the "double agent" to make it look like she was helping someone other than her self

Rachel winning = predictable, since BB practically manipulated the whole game to make it happen. (Brendon coming back, pandora's box). No miracle here, just great production.

All of the events were apart of the BBUS cookie cutter show
You've entered the post apocalyptic ruins of a site about a dead show, where every battle imaginable has already been fought a hundred times over. A cynical world of hardened arseholes where the mods have stopped caring, and the administrator is watching Tetris championships while the rest of us bicker in here.
Mokka is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 04:39 PM #53
Fighting the PC Culture

Favourites (more):
Fighting the PC Culture

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokkajava View Post
Shelly backstabbing = predictable. Did you not see her in the diary room and how sneakily she played the "double agent" to make it look like she was helping someone other than her self

Rachel winning = predictable, since BB practically manipulated the whole game to make it happen. (Brendon coming back, pandora's box). No miracle here, just great production.

All of the events were apart of the BBUS cookie cutter show
NO ONE could have predicted Shelly would put her key in for Rachel, especially after the nasty goodbye message Rachel left her. Unless you're going to speculate that BB forced her to do that or bribed her, you'll have to back off your claim that Rachel winning was predictable. NO ONE could have predicted Jeff would have thrown his clown shoe out of the box resulting in his own eviction. If Jeff had won that POV (which it seemed set up for) then Rachel would have been the one to go. The only key juncture in the game where I may agree with you was Pandora's Box. Yet Rachel still would have won POV, and her ally Jordan would have needed just one vote (Kalia's or Shelly's) to stay in the game. Kalia had a deal with Jordan the entire game that they wouldn't vote each other out and Shelly may have decided to keep Jordan, her favorite HG ever, and evict Adam, whose loyalties were suspect. Jordan still probably would have left but it wasn't a done deal at all.

They weren't planning on bringing Brendon back because they kept the other houseguests in sequester so they were planning on bringing back an evicted HG the whole time. Jeff and Jordan fans voted Brendon back in because he was an ally of Jeff and they knew he was a bigger target than Jeff.
Old 11-11-2011, 04:40 PM #54
♡☯♡☮♡☯♡☮♡

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash
BBUSA22: Janelle

♡☯♡☮♡☯♡☮♡

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash
BBUSA22: Janelle

and atleast the usa has live feed with 4 different cameras which shows all the unedited stuff

Spoiler:

reece(: is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 04:44 PM #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychtracker View Post
Coming from BB AU to UK i was surprised how obvious the camera's are in the UK version, and really noticed HMs looking into them. The Aussie house camera's seemed very much concealed, and i think the show has a much more natural feel simply for that reason. How does the US version compare re: the camera's.

Omnipresence of the camera's yep, they could disguise them a bit, make them miss-able, instead they hang them from thick silver polls from the ceiling. "Big Brother is watching you" - one of the elements in the UK show which still legitimizes it's link to Orwell's "Big Brother" They want the house-mate to feel they are being watched, yet this conflicts with it's other elemental link "The voice of Big Brother" He seems to get less Big Brother and more Friendly Uncle. Regardless to which i prefer BBUK has been ripped out of it's foundations over the years in an attempt to dial into a populist sweet spot.

I remember when they did a similar thing with Red Dwarf, which had a huge cult following, and voided any responsibilities to become the happy medium due to it's cheapness to make. They changed it, and spent more money on it and it became not gentle enough to be popular, nor subtle enough to be cult.

Seems BB-UK are not finding this sweet spot if the decline in viewing figures are concerned, and have pretty much annoyed loyal fans this year with there extreme definition of "Artistic License" i really don't think the makers of it know what they are doing at all.

Is the Grass always greener? i think so. So is there a happy medium? i hope so because Tv that cost's as much as BB-UK don't survive on around 1.5 million viewers. And i don't like the idea that they would bridge that gap from the voters wallet.
Cromwell1900 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:00 PM #56

Quote:
I think the US format is better and the concept is better because it's closer to being an actual social experiment in that it's far more self-contained than BBUK. That's because the houseguests know that ultimately they will decide who wins. BBUK ultimately is a popularity contest so the houseguests know they have to cater to the outside world as much as to each other.

That said, even though the format is superior I think the editing is bad. Hardly a minute can go by in the regular show without them using some type of dramatic music. And I hate it that the houseguests are not presented as 3 dimensional people. Instead, the people who do the editing practically decide how you feel about certain people. The "heroes" and the "villains" when in reality everyone is a mixture of both.
This sounds all to familiar to me of this years BB-UK not so much toward the end but certainly till half way through. Do you think in the US show this is done because the production chose favorites for some reason or to make their definition of "good TV" ? i.e do they pick up on natural traits in people and edit to add emphasis to those traits?

Last edited by Cromwell1900; 11-11-2011 at 05:02 PM.
Cromwell1900 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:19 PM #57
Fighting the PC Culture

Favourites (more):
Fighting the PC Culture

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromwell1900 View Post
This sounds all to familiar to me of this years BB-UK not so much toward the end but certainly till half way through. Would be interested to know, if you thought, this in the US show was because the production chose favorites for some reason or to make their definition of "good TV" ? i.e do they pick up on natural traits in people and edit to add emphasis to those traits?
I think production knows which houseguests bring them ratings. So they can gently encourage the game to go a certain direction by planting seeds in housguests ears in the diary room and choosing certain contests that will favor certain people. However, for the most part, it's the houseguests themselves that will decide who wins the game.

And I do think the people editing the show emphasize certain characteristics about the houseguests. America's favorite, Jeff, often came across as a moody self-entitled prick on the live feeds but he got a decent edit. I thought that Jessie (BB10 BB11) whom America hated was a much nicer fellow than Jeff.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:38 PM #58
American Nightmare

Favourites (more):
BB13: Deana
BB12: Maisy
American Nightmare

Favourites (more):
BB13: Deana
BB12: Maisy

Quote:
Originally Posted by starry View Post
Wow, you think the British version caters to an intelligent audience?
Lol.. Good point, but what I meant is in the American Version, the Chen-Bot (Julie Chen) has to explain EVERYTHING to the audience. It's quite insulting and takes a lot of the surprise out of the show. The UK version is more sneaky with it's twists and turns and makes for a more entertaining show, but I must say this years UK series has adapted elements from the US which I find bothersome. Like the Highly recapped Saturday shows. I've watched all week, I know what happened, it's annoying to see it all again. The Recap on Friday live shows is boring as well.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:45 PM #59

Favourites (more):
BB12: Alex
BB13 USA: Jordan

Favourites (more):
BB12: Alex
BB13 USA: Jordan

I also live in the states and discovered BBUK online last year right after the US season ended. I started with UK11 and was like WTF is going on here?! I then tore through the entire UK series in 9 months. BBUS pales in comparison to the UK version. Really, all they do in the US is backstab, lie, and manipulate their way to the final. (Aaron would have been a great fit for the US version) Davina has more charisma in her pinky finger than the US host Julie Chenbot does. Julie just reads the teleprompter and her delivery is as flat as a pancake, Davina on the other hand was invested and interested in what was going on. In the UK the tasks are better, the housemates are more enjoyable, there are moments and relationships that form, build, and grow whereas in US they would sell their best friend in the house or their own mom down the river to get the half million. I can name at least 5 housemates from each UK season, yet I can't name 2 people from each season of the US version. Hell, I can't even remember who was on it last summer, it's so forgettable. I'm beyond thankful to have found BBUK, I absolutely adore it and hope it stays on longer than next year. Either way I'm making plans to come to the UK in the summer and partake in a live eviction.
oopsimawesome is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:03 PM #60
Fighting the PC Culture

Favourites (more):
Fighting the PC Culture

Favourites (more):

Like I said before, can anyone direct me to an episode or segment of BBUK that is as interesting as the one I posted?

And I think that Julie Chin's personality (or lack of one) goes in with the theme of the show that we are all spectators in an experiment whose conclusion is uncertain. It's trying to be more like a documentary and if Julie was all bubbly and shouty like Divina it wouldn't fit.

Probably my fav housemate from BBUK is Nikki but she wasn't quite as interesting as the evil Dr. Will, Janelle, or Evel Dick.

Last edited by Liberty4eva; 11-11-2011 at 06:06 PM.
Old 17-11-2011, 01:50 AM #61
Fighting the PC Culture

Favourites (more):
Fighting the PC Culture

Favourites (more):

Found a fun video of Season 13. Post any tribute vids for BBUK this year.
Old 17-11-2011, 04:15 AM #62
Honourary Super Moderator

Honourary Super Moderator

UK for me. Though TBF I'm a creature of habit and prefer what I know
Kerry is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 04:59 AM #63
As Told by Troy

Favourites (more):
BB18: Isabelle
BBUSA19: Cody
As Told by Troy

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I don't think people disliked Maggie it's just that people liked the Soverign alliance better. Ivette was, hands down, the face of everything that people hated about the Friendship alliance. Ivette should have taken Janelle to the final 2 and evicted Maggie if she wanted a better shot at winning. Like James said, she chose friendship with someone she knew for 2 months over 450 thousand dollars.
Not at all. If Ivette evicted Janelle, she would've betrayed Maggie and essentially gone back on everything the Friendship was founded upon, and essentially lose all her Jury votes. If Ivette evicted Maggie, Janelle would win. But if Janelle evicted Maggie, Ivette would've won. Ivette's best move would've been to throw the final HoH, especially because Janelle promised her F2. She knew she didn't have enough votes to win against either of them and just wanted second place.
Old 17-11-2011, 05:01 AM #64
As Told by Troy

Favourites (more):
As Told by Troy

Favourites (more):

Quote:
They weren't planning on bringing Brendon back because they kept the other houseguests in sequester so they were planning on bringing back an evicted HG the whole time. Jeff and Jordan fans voted Brendon back in because he was an ally of Jeff and they knew he was a bigger target than Jeff.
When the America's Choice is usually Week 3 and it gets pushed back to Week 4 this year, obviously it was to bring a veteran back into the game.
Old 17-11-2011, 05:35 AM #65
how i'm feeling now

Favourites (more):
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard
CBB 13: Luisa Zissman

how i'm feeling now

Favourites (more):
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard
CBB 13: Luisa Zissman

Quote:
Like I said before, can anyone direct me to an episode or segment of BBUK that is as interesting as the one I posted?

And I think that Julie Chin's personality (or lack of one) goes in with the theme of the show that we are all spectators in an experiment whose conclusion is uncertain. It's trying to be more like a documentary and if Julie was all bubbly and shouty like Divina it wouldn't fit.

Probably my fav housemate from BBUK is Nikki but she wasn't quite as interesting as the evil Dr. Will, Janelle, or Evel Dick.
Makosi is the best Big Brother housemate ever. She is 10x more complex and interesting than anyone from BBUS. People in the house actually believed she was a mole. You have to watch her season to understand, but here:

And Janelle is the queen, but Nikki > Janelle tbh.

Last edited by iRyan; 17-11-2011 at 05:46 AM.
iRyan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 06:32 AM #66
Fighting the PC Culture

Favourites (more):
Fighting the PC Culture

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by troynuncdicit View Post
Not at all. If Ivette evicted Janelle, she would've betrayed Maggie and essentially gone back on everything the Friendship was founded upon, and essentially lose all her Jury votes. If Ivette evicted Maggie, Janelle would win. But if Janelle evicted Maggie, Ivette would've won. Ivette's best move would've been to throw the final HoH, especially because Janelle promised her F2. She knew she didn't have enough votes to win against either of them and just wanted second place.
That's not necessarily true. In BB5, when Drew won the final HOH and evicted his shocked girlfriend, Diane, she suggested she wouldn't vote for him but ended up voting for him (he won 4-3). In BB12 Hayden won the final HOH and evicted his close ally Enzo and he voted for Hayden to win. The only example I can think of where someone evicted an ally and that ally didn't vote for them is this year when Rachel evicted Adam. The only nerd herd vote Ivette got was Beau which she would have gotten anyways. The only sovereign votes Ivette didn't get were Rachel and Howie which she wouldn't have gotten anyways. Taking Janelle would have been no easy path to victory but it at least would be a pathway where victory was possible. Take a leap of faith and hope Maggie and the other nerd herders understand that she had to do what she had to do to help her family?

A lot of people did not like Ivette. The next season during all-stars James said that Rachel had threatened Howie and said if he voted for Ivette she would never speak to him again. LOL.

Last edited by Liberty4eva; 17-11-2011 at 06:42 AM.
Old 17-11-2011, 06:52 AM #67
Challenge Destroyer

Favourites:
BB14: Gina
BB14 USA: Dan
Challenge Destroyer

Favourites:

Quote:
That's not necessarily true. In BB5, when Drew won the final HOH and evicted his shocked girlfriend, Diane, she suggested she wouldn't vote for him but ended up voting for him (he won 4-3). In BB12 Hayden won the final HOH and evicted his close ally Enzo and he voted for Hayden to win. The only example I can think of where someone evicted an ally and that ally didn't vote for them is this year when Rachel evicted Adam. The only nerd herd vote Ivette got was Beau which she would have gotten anyways. The only sovereign votes Ivette didn't get were Rachel and Howie which she wouldn't have gotten anyways. Taking Janelle would have been no easy path to victory but it at least would be a pathway where victory was possible. Take a leap of faith and hope Maggie and the other nerd herders understand that she had to do what she had to do to help her family?

A lot of people did not like Ivette. The next season during all-stars James said that Rachel had threatened Howie and said if he voted for Ivette she would never speak to him again. LOL.
If Cowboy had won, he would of been hands downs the worst BB winner ever.
SoBig is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 04:53 PM #68
Fighting the PC Culture

Favourites (more):
Fighting the PC Culture

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRyan View Post
Makosi is the best Big Brother housemate ever. She is 10x more complex and interesting than anyone from BBUS. People in the house actually believed she was a mole. You have to watch her season to understand, but here:

And Janelle is the queen, but Nikki > Janelle tbh.
Seriously? I doubt there's any way Makosi is more interesting or complex than the evil Dr. Will.

In season 2 Dr. Will basically told every houseguest, to their face, that he was a bad guy and would stab them in the back, in the front, stab them wherever he could, he told people not to trust him and he found a way to make it to the end and win the whole game.

Old 17-11-2011, 04:57 PM #69

Favourites:
BBUSA16: Derrick

Favourites:

Quote:
Seriously? I doubt there's any way Makosi is more interesting or complex than the evil Dr. Will.

In season 2 Dr. Will basically told every houseguest, to their face, that he was a bad guy and would stab them in the back, in the front, stab them wherever he could, he told people not to trust him and he found a way to make it to the end and win the whole game.

Old 17-11-2011, 05:07 PM #70
Challenge Destroyer

Favourites:
Challenge Destroyer

Favourites:

Quote:

Dr. Will was awesome. He used to come up with some of the most unbelievable lies and they would believe every word he said.
SoBig is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 05:12 PM #71

Favourites:

Favourites:

Dr. Will convincing everybody that Marcellus took the money and the prizes in the task in season 7 is one of the best moments in Big Brother history.
Old 18-11-2011, 02:27 AM #72

Favourites:
BB12: Aaron
BB13 USA: Jeff

Favourites:
BB12: Aaron
BB13 USA: Jeff

BB_Fan_09 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-11-2011, 02:41 AM #73
As Told by Troy

Favourites (more):
As Told by Troy

Favourites (more):

Quote:

It is necessarily true, you can't compare other seasons to how season 6 was. The Friendship was an alliance founded based on friendship, just look at its name. Maggie led it as a cult and if Ivette backstabbed Maggie, went back on the cult and the friendship, she would've immediately lost the respect of everyone and their votes. The group as founded as a group of friends and carried a mentality that their friendship was more important than the game. April and Beau confirmed that the Friendship Jurors wouldn't have voted for Ivette in that scenario. Ivette needed to throw the final HoH to win, she couldn't have won it.
Old 18-11-2011, 02:47 AM #74

Favourites (more):
BBUSA16: Zach
BBUSA15: Candice

Favourites (more):
BBUSA16: Zach
BBUSA15: Candice

Quote:

Did you watch BB6? As someone who's watched that series and both of the BBUS seasons Will was on, I don't think there's much of a contest. Dr. Will was interesting too but Makosi is miles ahead of him in terms of being an entertaining character. That's not at all a dig at him, it's just a testament to how interesting and complex Makosi was.
Gemmachi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-11-2011, 04:59 AM #75
rk3388

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Rachel Johnson
CBBUSA: Metta World Peace
rk3388

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Rachel Johnson
CBBUSA: Metta World Peace

Us> UK
UK is NOT personality contest anynmore, its a contest who can act nice the longest.

CBBUS1: Metta/Omarosa/James/Ariadna
CBBUS2: Tom, Jonathan, Tamar, Lolo, Natalie
rk3388 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
big brother, uk