Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

BB12 Big Brother 12 started on Thursday Sept 9th 2011 on Channel 5 for a 9-week run. The series was won by Aaron. Tell us what you thought about the housemates and series in this forum.

Old 19-12-2011, 03:20 PM #1

Favourites (more):
CBB19: Kim Woodburn
CBB18: Renee Graziano

Favourites (more):
CBB19: Kim Woodburn
CBB18: Renee Graziano

Default Channel 5 in trouble with Ofcom

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011...=FBCNETTXT9038

Quote:
Ofcom has ruled that Channel 5 broke the broadcasting code for repeatedly airing clips of Big Brother housemates using the word "****" immediately after 9pm – in once case the expletive was used just 11 seconds after the watershed.

Channel 5 argued that the use of the swearwords was "editorially justified" owing to a range of factors, including that the broadcaster felt that 11 seconds was not "immediately after the watershed".

In two episodes of the reality TV show – the Friday night eviction episodes of 23 and 30 September – clips rounding up events in the Big Brother house over the course of the previous week featured housemates using the word "****" or "****ing" a total of four times.

The four uses of the expletive occurred within 31 seconds of the 9pm watershed, which is designed to protect children from being exposed to more adult material such as swearing and violence.

One instance of the use of the expletive came just 11 seconds after 9pm and less than six seconds after the start of the show.

Channel 5 said that the weekly roundup clip at the start of each show was "essential" to remind viewers of the build-up to the eviction. The broadcaster added that the strong language reflected the "heightened tensions" and "represented the genuine feelings of the housemates".

Ofcom recently updated broadcasters on guidance for airing content around the watershed, noting that there should be a "smooth transition to more adult content. It should not commence with the strongest material."

The broadcasting code guideline in question, rule 1.6, is designed to "avoid a sudden change to material that would only be deemed suitable for a post-watershed broadcast".

Channel 5 defended the broadcasts, arguing that viewers are familiar with the type of content in Big Brother, and the fact there is an "unambiguous" warning at the start of the episodes that there is "strong language from the start".

The broadcaster said this "provided a clear context and sufficiently prepared viewers for the opening sequence".

Ofcom said that four instances of swearing within 31 seconds of 9pm meant that it did not accept Channel 5's argument that the programmes "did not include strong language immediately after the watershed".

The media regulator said that given there is an "absolute prohibition" on the most offensive language immediately before 9pm, a broadcaster would need "very strong reasons" to justify airing strong language straight after the watershed.

"Ofcom did not consider there was sufficient editorial justification to include repeated use of the most offensive language in these programmes so soon after the watershed," it said in its ruling.

"The two uses of the word '****' or '****ing' in each programme in the period directly after the watershed did in Ofcom's view constitute an 'unduly abrupt' transition to more adult material at the watershed."

Last edited by RichardG; 19-12-2011 at 03:22 PM.
RichardG is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 03:23 PM #2
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Oh fgs

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 03:23 PM #3

Got to give Ofcom something to do
arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 03:26 PM #4

Ofcom are itching to get someone in trouble.
Parents are warned that after 9PM anything is aloud to be done, wether it is sexual, swearing, as long as it is after 9.

It's parents fault if their kids pick up these words for letting them stay up after 9PM

Ofcom need to grow up.

Last edited by Jamie.; 19-12-2011 at 03:27 PM.
Jamie. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 03:28 PM #5
oh fack off

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Tony
IAC2019: Ian Wright

oh fack off

Favourites (more):

This is beyond pathetic. There's already a ****ing watershed, what more do they want? It doesn't matter whether it's 11 seconds after or not, they adhered to the 9pm watershed guideline and that's that. I wish they'd stop pandering to the wishes of old women who instead of allowing their children to watch these evidently adult programmes which also include prior warnings of such content (if they're really that dim), should do the right thing and either change the channel or send their children to bed, it really isn't that hard.

Censorship in this country is going too far now and this report is utterly laughable.

Last edited by Benjamin; 27-12-2011 at 08:32 AM.
Jack_ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 03:28 PM #6
His blood is bad.

Favourites (more):
BBUSA21: Kathryn
BBUSA20: Brett

His blood is bad.

Favourites (more):
BBUSA21: Kathryn
BBUSA20: Brett

Ofcom can **** off
Dirty load of *****
Old 19-12-2011, 03:33 PM #7
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_ View Post
This is beyond pathetic. There's already a ****ing watershed, what more do these OFCUNTS want? It doesn't matter whether it's 11 seconds after or not, they adhered to the 9pm watershed guideline and that's that. I wish they'd stop pandering to the wishes of old women who instead of allowing their children to watch these evidently adult programmes which also include prior warnings of such content (if they're really that dim), should do the right thing and either change the channel or send their children to bed, it really isn't that hard.

Censorship in this country is going too far now and this report is utterly laughable.
As a mother, I find this very insulting Jack. That article doesn't mention anything about "old women" complaining or anyone else complaining for that matter.

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Old 19-12-2011, 03:38 PM #8
oh fack off

Favourites (more):

oh fack off

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christmas Neeve View Post
As a mother, I find this very insulting Jack. That article doesn't mention anything about "old women" complaining or anyone else complaining for that matter.
Well I'm sorry if it offended you then, but let's be honest the chances are that most people that complain to OFCOM about anything are either elderly people or the mothers (perhaps fathers) I guess who are supposedly 'worried' about the content their children view. I seriously doubt there is a lot of 18 year old men that complain if they hear the word 'sh*t' at 9:01pm on Big Brother.

I know there'll be exceptions to the rule and I'm aware that yes it's most likely a generalisation, but we're all aware that I'm not the only one that thinks this and that's probably for good reason.
Old 19-12-2011, 03:43 PM #9
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Well I'm sorry if it offended you then, but let's be honest the chances are that most people that complain to OFCOM about anything are either elderly people or the mothers (perhaps fathers) I guess who are supposedly 'worried' about the content their children view. I seriously doubt there is a lot of 18 year old men that complain if they hear the word 'sh*t' at 9:01pm on Big Brother.

I know there'll be exceptions to the rule and I'm aware that yes it's most likely a generalisation, but we're all aware that I'm not the only one that thinks this and that's probably for good reason.
Well, all the mothers I know have better thing to do then complain about bad language on TV

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Old 19-12-2011, 03:45 PM #10
oh fack off

Favourites (more):

oh fack off

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christmas Neeve View Post
Well, all the mothers I know have better thing to do then complain about bad language on TV
The same for me, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. Pretty sure there's been stories in the paper about parents/the elderly complaining
Old 19-12-2011, 03:46 PM #11

Favourites (more):
BB12: Anton
CBB7: Stephanie

Favourites (more):

Quote:

I'm normally one for controversy but I'm completely with Niamh on this one, you're missing the obvious point. A lot of people leave the channel they're watching on for a good 5-10 minutes after the programme they were watching has finished. This could easily have happened there especially with kids watching whatever was on at 8pm, and 11 seconds is pushing it before finding something else to watch. Its nothing to do with watching BB just to complain.

BB just isn't a 9pm show to begin with. The move to 9pm was when it started its rapid decline and one of the only things Channel 5 got right was keeping it on at 10pm. I'll never understand people who complain though. Don't see the point or what it achieves.

Last edited by Tom; 19-12-2011 at 03:49 PM.
Tom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 03:48 PM #12
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
I'm normally one for controversy but I'm completely with Niamh on this one, you're missing the obvious point. A lot of people leave the channel they're watching on for a good 5-10 minutes after the programme they were watching has finished. This could easily have happened there especially with kids watching whatever was on at 8pm, and 11 seconds is pushing it before finding something else to watch. Its nothing to do with watching BB just to complain.
Oh I don't agree with Offcom, I was just saying that Old women/mothers complaining wasn't mentioned in that article

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Old 19-12-2011, 03:49 PM #13

Quote:
most people that complain to OFCOM about anything are elderly people
What do you mean by "elderly"?

Quote:
I seriously doubt there is (sic) a lot of 18 year old men that complain if they hear the word 'sh*t' at 9:01pm on Big Brother.
Of course not, but the debate is about those who are much younger, the pre-teens and juveniles .....
Omah is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 03:30 PM #14
Jessica Meuse was robbed.

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

Jessica Meuse was robbed.

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

Ok Ofcom allows shows like The X Factor to blatently rig the results,but C5 get told off for showing swear words after the watershed lol.

Ofcom you stink.

I'm a sick bitch.
Mystic Mock is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 03:31 PM #15
oh fack off

Favourites (more):

oh fack off

Favourites (more):

On a side note, as if hearing a few swear words is going to be detrimental to a child's life anyway. I hate this age-old assumption that it's the worst thing since the Holocaust if a child is heard swearing.
Old 19-12-2011, 03:35 PM #16
Stellar all-star line up

Favourites (more):
BB18: Raph
BBCanada 5: Karen

Stellar all-star line up

Favourites (more):
BB18: Raph
BBCanada 5: Karen

11 seconds after the watershed is still after the watershed.

Screw you, Ofcom, go do something useful for christ sake.
Tregard is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 03:40 PM #17

Good for Ofcom - it's just common sense - C5 are trying to push the boundaries of controversy because the program content itself failed to attract an adult audience but depended on impressionable pre-teens and juveniles .....
Old 19-12-2011, 03:44 PM #18
oh fack off

Favourites (more):

oh fack off

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omah View Post
Good for Ofcom - it's just common sense - C5 are trying to push the boundaries of controversy because the program content itself failed to attract an adult audience but depended on impressionable pre-teens and juveniles .....
No, Channel 5 are trying to reflect an aspect of reality (the use of swearing in every day life) correctly in what is a reality TV show. Censoring such words would mean that's not a reflection of real life, when someone swears in real life you don't hear the bleep machine appear from nowhere to mask the word do you?

Someone will probably mention that Channel 5's attempt at Big Brother took away from the 'reality TV' aspect anyway, and whilst that might be true, the use of expletives is still an aspect of reality.
Old 19-12-2011, 03:46 PM #19
legend

legend

Quote:
No, Channel 5 are trying to reflect an aspect of reality (the use of swearing in every day life) correctly in what is a reality TV show. Censoring such words would mean that's not a reflection of real life, when someone swears in real life you don't hear the bleep machine appear from nowhere to mask the word do you?

Someone will probably mention that Channel 5's attempt at Big Brother took away from the 'reality TV' aspect anyway, and whilst that might be true, the use of expletives is still an aspect of reality.
True. I agree that while C5 haven't done the best job, the swearing aspect is accurate.

I find this whole thing utterly pathetic though.
Doogle is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 03:53 PM #20

Quote:
No, Channel 5 are trying to reflect an aspect of reality (the use of swearing in every day life) correctly in what is a reality TV show.
In my "real life", swearing is not a regular part of the vernacular .....

Quote:
Your reality, not mine .....
Old 19-12-2011, 06:16 PM #21
oh fack off

Favourites (more):

oh fack off

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post

BB just isn't a 9pm show to begin with. The move to 9pm was when it started its rapid decline and one of the only things Channel 5 got right was keeping it on at 10pm. I'll never understand people who complain though. Don't see the point or what it achieves.
If I'm watching TV with my younger brothers or other family/friends that are young and something comes on that I know would be inappropriate for them, I turn over onto a random channel and then begin browsing to see what's on, that way they can't see the said programme at all.

It's not the fault of Channel 5 if other people choose to leave channels on for 5/10 minutes after 9pm, they are fully aware of the fact that the watershed begins at that hour and so really, if they don't want their children to see any post-watershed content, they should change channel or switch off immediately. I see your point, but laziness isn't an excuse.

Quote:
What do you mean by "elderly"?
By definition (mine obviously, people have differing ones) - people that have retired around the average retirement age.

Quote:
Of course not, but the debate is about those who are much younger, the pre-teens and juveniles .....
So you're trying to say that 13 year olds would perhaps complain about this sort of content?

Quote:
In my "real life", swearing is not a regular part of the vernacular .....
Surprise, surprise...I knew this statement would pop up at some point from somebody, it always does whether in real life or on this forum. It doesn't matter whether you hear swearing in your social group or not, it still exists in many other social groups and to try and deny that would be beyond stupid.

If you went to any pub and stayed there all night, you'd struggle to find one where there wasn't any cases where you heard someone swear. That's almost certainly the case with football grounds - try going there and not hearing anyone swear.

You can bring your own 'real life' into it as much as you want, perhaps you and your friends/family don't swear - but a lot of people do, and so as such it is part of reality because it happens in real life for a lot of people. That's the end of that discussion.
Old 19-12-2011, 07:31 PM #22

Quote:
So you're trying to say that 13 year olds would perhaps complain about this sort of content?
No ..... the watershed guidelines are there to protect the under 14's, who, nominally, are under the control of a parent or guardian

Quote:
Surprise, surprise...I knew this statement would pop up at some point from somebody, it always does whether in real life or on this forum. It doesn't matter whether you hear swearing in your social group or not, it still exists in many other social groups and to try and deny that would be beyond stupid.

If you went to any pub and stayed there all night, you'd struggle to find one where there wasn't any cases where you heard someone swear. That's almost certainly the case with football grounds - try going there and not hearing anyone swear.

You can bring your own 'real life' into it as much as you want, perhaps you and your friends/family don't swear - but a lot of people do, and so as such it is part of reality because it happens in real life for a lot of people. That's the end of that discussion.
As I said, your reality, not mine ..... we obviously move indifferent social circles with different social standards ..... as for being "stupid", I would suggest that only the "stupid" swear, since they lack the education, the inclination or the imagination to construct expressive and meaningful sentences from the wealth of words that the English Language has to offer .....

Last edited by Omah; 19-12-2011 at 07:36 PM.
Old 19-12-2011, 07:40 PM #23

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
If I'm watching TV with my younger brothers or other family/friends that are young and something comes on that I know would be inappropriate for them, I turn over onto a random channel and then begin browsing to see what's on, that way they can't see the said programme at all.

It's not the fault of Channel 5 if other people choose to leave channels on for 5/10 minutes after 9pm, they are fully aware of the fact that the watershed begins at that hour and so really, if they don't want their children to see any post-watershed content, they should change channel or switch off immediately. I see your point, but laziness isn't an excuse.
Completely get what you're saying but the watershed isnt an immediate time for things to happen, e.g. a graphic sex scene isn't appropriate for 9.01pm just because its after the watershed. I've got no problems with the content personally but I do think this is the reason why BB is more suited to a 10pm slot, the slot it had for years and the slot it had when BB was at its height.

Last edited by Tom; 19-12-2011 at 07:41 PM.
Tom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 07:50 PM #24

Quote:

The "watershed" is NOT an immediate concept - it's a flexible one (see the guidelines issued by OFCOM and all the terrestrial TV channels) to allow viewers without the benefit of your unwavering and lightning control of all the TV channels on all the TVs, PCs and media servers in your house to make their own (somewhat slower, maybe impeded) decisions about equipment and programs in their house .....

Last edited by Omah; 19-12-2011 at 07:50 PM.
Old 19-12-2011, 08:36 PM #25

Quote:
You can bring your own 'real life' into it as much as you want.
Well, you certainly are ......

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
channel 5, ofcom, trouble