Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 18-11-2015, 09:23 AM #1
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Default Anonymous publishes details of 'ISIS recruiters' and takes down 5,500 Twitter account

Ok so maybe they do do stuff Thoughts?

Shadowy hacking group steps up cyber-conflict by revealing names and addresses of suspected ISIS zealots

Anonymous has begun publishing the names and addresses of alleged ISIS recruiters.

The masked hacking group declared war against the Islamic State in the wake of the Paris attacks, vowing to silence extremist propaganda and expose undercover operatives.

Now it has leaked details of at least five men it claims are recruiters for the terror group, as well as taking down 5,500 Twitter accounts.

Mirror Online has seen the names, addresses and phone numbers of men living in countries including Afghanistan, Tunisia and Somalia.

Anonymous activists also claimed to have identified a "high-ranking" recruiter living in Europe, but have not yet published an address.

We have contacted some of the men who have been named, but they have not replied and we have been unable to verify if the allegations against them are true.

Some Anonymous spokesmen claimed to have closed down a total of 5,500 ISIS supporters' Twitter accounts, whilst others put the figure at 900.

Hitting these accounts is seen as a way of shutting down the ISIS recruitment and propaganda machine.

A group of hackers called GhostSec is also working feverishly to identify the Paris attackers.

"We have been flooded with data," a source told us.

Anonymous is now compiling a massive list of Twitter accounts and web pages ahead of a large cyber-assault due to take place later this evening.

Anonymous has begun publishing the names and addresses of alleged ISIS recruiters.

The masked hacking group declared war against the Islamic State in the wake of the Paris attacks, vowing to silence extremist propaganda and expose undercover operatives.

Now it has leaked details of at least five men it claims are recruiters for the terror group, as well as taking down 5,500 Twitter accounts.

Mirror Online has seen the names, addresses and phone numbers of men living in countries including Afghanistan, Tunisia and Somalia.

Anonymous activists also claimed to have identified a "high-ranking" recruiter living in Europe, but have not yet published an address.

We have contacted some of the men who have been named, but they have not replied and we have been unable to verify if the allegations against them are true.

Some Anonymous spokesmen claimed to have closed down a total of 5,500 ISIS supporters' Twitter accounts, whilst others put the figure at 900.

Hitting these accounts is seen as a way of shutting down the ISIS recruitment and propaganda machine.

A group of hackers called GhostSec is also working feverishly to identify the Paris attackers.

"We have been flooded with data," a source told us.

Anonymous is now compiling a massive list of Twitter accounts and web pages ahead of a large cyber-assault due to take place later this evening.

It is expected to use a digital weapon called a "DDoS" to shut down websites.

Yesterday, the hackers released a video which warned: "You should know that we will find you and we will not let you go."

"Expect massive cyber attacks. War is declared.

"Get prepared."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/technol...FB_mirror_main

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.

Last edited by Niamh.; 18-11-2015 at 09:24 AM.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-11-2015, 09:39 AM #2

Absolutely Brilliant. If they succeed in just 1% of their claims, this will be a blow to the terrorist pond slime who only function because of their subtteranean, clandestine cowardly dealings.

More importantly, it reinforces the 'feeling' that a new movement is rising throughout the world, one of defiance and solidarity, and one which shouts its message with new voices added - those of the hitherto silent majority who were too frightened to open their mouths and too intimidated to 'Stand Up And Be Counted' because of decades of terrorist beneficial 'Political Correctness'.

Viva la revolution.

Last edited by kirklancaster; 18-11-2015 at 09:39 AM.
kirklancaster is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-11-2015, 09:41 AM #3

My biggest problem with this is that they're alleged ISIS recruiters, which means they might not actually be ISIS recruiters, and yet they're having their names and addresses revealed? This doesn't fit with a society that bases it's justice system on the ethos of 'innocent until proven guilty'. Very disconcerting

BBCAN: Erica | Will | Veronica | Johnny | Alejandra | Ryan | Paras
Jamie89 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-11-2015, 09:46 AM #4
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

..sorry, I haven't got time to read it all through now, Naimh but I will do that later...quick thoughts though..?...hmmmm, see it's all 'suspected' though and what if any one of those names is wrong and would it lead to any sort of vigilante actions...also, say if a name was published of someone living in your town for instance..?..so then, you and all of your other neighbours and the surrounding people etc would know this name then...and that person would know that you would all know their name..?..so even if it was all correct and they were indeed a potential public danger..?...would they not think, oh well..so that's it, I'll blow us all up now/this whole town because the armed forces will be at my door any second...whereas if the names aren't published, then there could be less chance of any terrorist actions because anyone involved would feel that they hadn't been discovered, when maybe they have by intelligence services and are being watched etc....

...I don't know really, it feels a bit like in the movies..(sorry for the analogy but I'm rushing..)...when there are 'undercover cops' involved for very good reason and very good reason why they don't want to act straight way and then other regular cops come barging in and blow their cover....
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-11-2015, 09:48 AM #5
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie89 View Post
My biggest problem with this is that they're alleged ISIS recruiters, which means they might not actually be ISIS recruiters, and yet they're having their names and addresses revealed? This doesn't fit with a society that bases it's justice system on the ethos of 'innocent until proven guilty'. Very disconcerting
...ughhh, I wish that I could make little posts like you, that says it all anyway......alleged, yes...not a very comforting word, is it...
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-11-2015, 09:50 AM #6

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis F
CBB21: Shane Jenek

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis F
CBB21: Shane Jenek

I'm all for this, where the government fails in their actions is that they're so concerned about doing something that could look 'morally wrong' in the eyes of the population, that they don't go to the extra lengths to get information, so even though they're basically criminals themselves, Anonymous doing this allows information to be got freely, at least these criminals are trying to do something good with their powers.
Old 18-11-2015, 09:51 AM #7
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:

lets not be too hasty in congratulating anonymous.

1. How long does it take to create an alternative twitter account, 20 seconds? Its not achieved anything.

2. By stomping in and naming people, they could easily have disrupted on going operations that were uncovering networks, cells etc. Now that chance has gone.
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-11-2015, 09:52 AM #8

Favourites (more):
CBB19: Kim Woodburn
CBB18: Renee Graziano

Favourites (more):
CBB19: Kim Woodburn
CBB18: Renee Graziano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie89 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
..sorry, I haven't got time to read it all through now, Naimh but I will do that later...quick thoughts though..?...hmmmm, see it's all 'suspected' though and what if any one of those names is wrong and would it lead to any sort of vigilante actions...also, say if a name was published of someone living in your town for instance..?..so then, you and all of your other neighbours and the surrounding people etc would know this name then...and that person would know that you would all know their name..?..so even if it was all correct and they were indeed a potential public danger..?...would they not think, oh well..so that's it, I'll blow us all up now/this whole town because the armed forces will be at my door any second...whereas if the names aren't published, then there could be less chance of any terrorist actions because anyone involved would feel that they hadn't been discovered, when maybe they have by intelligence services and are being watched etc....

...I don't know really, it feels a bit like in the movies..(sorry for the analogy but I'm rushing..)...when there are 'undercover cops' involved for very good reason and very good reason why they don't want to act straight way and then other regular cops come barging in and blow their cover....
Agree with both of these^, plus with what Alex said in the other thread. If taking down ISIS twitter accounts was of significant benefit to the fight against terrorism then the government would have done this a long time ago. What if the intelligence services were monitoring them for some reason or another? We moan about the government's response but there's nothing Anonymous can do that the government couldn't have done long ago if they deemed it necessary and Anon themselves certainly won't be the ones to bring down ISIS. They should stay away from this IMO, it's way too serious a problem and they could easily screw something up for the official investigations.

Last edited by RichardG; 18-11-2015 at 09:56 AM.
RichardG is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-11-2015, 09:53 AM #9
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Yeah I'm kind of on the fence with it, I understand the arguments against them but at the same time why is it any different to countries bombing in reaction to terrorist attacks? that could disrupt ongoing intelligence as well couldn't it?

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Old 18-11-2015, 09:56 AM #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Yeah I'm kind of on the fence with it, I understand the arguments against them but at the same time why is it any different to countries bombing in reaction to terrorist attacks? that could disrupt ongoing intelligence as well couldn't it?
Absolutely.

Old 18-11-2015, 09:57 AM #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam- View Post
I'm all for this, where the government fails in their actions is that they're so concerned about doing something that could look 'morally wrong' in the eyes of the population, that they don't go to the extra lengths to get information, so even though they're basically criminals themselves, Anonymous doing this allows information to be got freely, at least these criminals are trying to do something good with their powers.
Extremely well written Liam, and very, very valid.

Old 18-11-2015, 09:58 AM #12
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Good point actually Niamh the day after the Paris attacks countries were lining up to strike Raqqa.
I'm all for individuals having power and yet I wouldn't want this to be seen as simply tubthumping or an excuse for a rise in far right thinking to be seen as acceptable.

Last edited by Kizzy; 18-11-2015 at 10:00 AM.
Kizzy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-11-2015, 10:03 AM #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam- View Post
I agree with this, and I'm not against Anonymous getting involved to an extent. If they can help then I think that's great. It's just the nature of their involvement in this report that makes me feel uneasy. That the information they have might not be correct and so they could be exposing names and addresses of innocent people.

BBCAN: Erica | Will | Veronica | Johnny | Alejandra | Ryan | Paras

Last edited by Jamie89; 18-11-2015 at 10:03 AM.
Jamie89 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-11-2015, 10:26 AM #14
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Don't agree with publishing the details ,if they are recruiters it would have made more sense to pass this information on privately so the accounts could be monitored and arrests made if appropriate, publishing the details sends them deeper underground I feel

Last edited by Cherie; 18-11-2015 at 10:27 AM.
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-11-2015, 10:28 AM #15
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
Don't agree with publishing the details ,if they are recruiters it would have made more sense to pass this information on privately so the accounts could be monitored and arrests made if appropriate, publishing the details sends them deeper underground I feel
While that's true, wouldn't sending them deeper underground also make it alot harder for them to recruit and organise themselves?

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Old 18-11-2015, 12:08 PM #16
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
While that's true, wouldn't sending them deeper underground also make it alot harder for them to recruit and organise themselves?
Not really as BOTS said they can easily open another account(I think)
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-11-2015, 12:38 PM #17
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
Not really as BOTS said they can easily open another account(I think)
I was just responding to the "sending them deeper underground" bit

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Old 18-11-2015, 12:48 PM #18
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

Quote:
I was just responding to the "sending them deeper underground" bit
6ft will be enough
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-11-2015, 12:49 PM #19
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
6ft will be enough

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Old 18-11-2015, 01:59 PM #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
6ft will be enough

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
500, account, anonymous, details, isis, publishes, recruiters, takes, twitter