Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 09-06-2018, 08:49 PM #1
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
BB19: Anamelia
CBB22: Gabby Allen
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
Default Bill Maher Begs for a Recession to Get Rid of Donald Trump

Don't mind Maher... but I think the thought process here is a bit backwards...

Source: http://www.newsweek.com/bill-maher-d...984?yptr=yahoo

Quote:
Bill Maher Begs for a Recession to Get Rid of Donald Trump

HBO’s “Real Time” host Bill Maher admitted that he hopes the American economy will crash so that President Donald Trump will be voted out of office.

Maher, along with his panel, discussed the success of the Trump administration’s growing economy, but remained skeptical about how long the prosperity will last.

“I feel like the bottom has to fall out at some point, and by the way, I’m hoping for it because I think one way you get rid of Trump is a crashing economy,” Maher said during the June 8 show. “So please, bring on the recession. Sorry if that hurts people but it’s either root for a recession, or you lose your democracy.”

John Heilemann, a journalist for NBC and host of Showtime’s political program “The Circus,” responded to Maher’s statement saying that “Trump is doing everything you can possibly do to screw up the economy.”

Arguably his biggest political accomplishment to date, Trump’s economy saw record low unemployment numbers last month. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, unemployment in May fell to an 18-year low of 3.8 percent. Black and Hispanic unemployment also hit an historic low. The president even preemptively tweeted about the positive numbers, which breached a federal rule barring the leader from commenting on the report until one hour after it’s release.

Maher’s comments quickly prompted response on social media.

If the American economy were to suffer a recession, Maher currently has about $100 million in his warchest according to the website Celebrity Net Worth, which also states that Maher’s annual salary is about $10 million.

It was also revealed in 2012 that the comedian and television host owns part of the New York Mets after buying at least one share of ownership for $20 million, though it is unclear exactly how much ownership he had at the time.

HBO also just announced it will renew Maher’s show through 2020.
Maru is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 08:52 PM #2
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):

Other interesting comments he's made recently...

Source: https://www.yahoo.com/news/bill-mahe...073315500.html

Quote:
Bill Maher Scolds Libs: Forget The Culture, Grab The Government

Bill Maher got down to business Friday night in a not-so-funny monologue winding up “Real Time.” He accused liberals of being so busy patting themselves on the back getting Roseanne Barr bounced off TV for racist tweets that they forgot — again — about far more critical battles.

“I’m often surprised how often liberals I talk to think that we’re winning. We, who control nothing. Winning?” he asked.

He skewered liberals for “joy” they “take in vaporizing people and making every offense a hanging offense” — while missing the bigger picture.

“Conservatives govern without shame and liberals shame without governing,” he said.

“We get to banish actors. Liberals control the culture, yes, but right now wouldn’t you rather control the border?”

As for President Donald Trump, he warned: “I wouldn’t put it past him to try and cancel the next election.”

See what Homer Simpson has to say about that. Check out the video above.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:10 PM #3
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maru View Post
Other interesting comments he's made recently...

Source: https://www.yahoo.com/news/bill-mahe...073315500.html
I'm not a fan of maher at all, but he made some good points there that seem very true to me
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 09:13 PM #4
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
I'm not a fan of maher at all, but he made some good points there that seem very true to me
Yeah, while I don't agree with him here so much, he is echoing the sentiment of a lot of folk I think...

Last edited by Maru; 09-06-2018 at 09:13 PM.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:13 PM #5
like the boys

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Minh-Ly
Survivor 40: Michele

like the boys

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Minh-Ly
Survivor 40: Michele

lol @ the guy who seems to think Bill Maher of all people constitutes "the left"

An even bigger lol @ the guy who seems to be trying to retroactively blame Bill Maher for Anthony Bourdain's suicide, as if that's in any way a rational thought to have

Spoiler:

MB. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 09:47 PM #6

Quote:
Don't mind Maher... but I think the thought process here is a bit backwards...

Source: http://www.newsweek.com/bill-maher-d...984?yptr=yahoo
OMG there are some totally shocking comments here. Wow
hijaxers is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 10:16 PM #7
Sod orf

Sod orf

Trump derangement syndrome, there's a lot of it going around.
Alf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 10:31 PM #8
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf View Post
Trump derangement syndrome, there's a lot of it going around.
Yeah it is a bit much. I didn't vote for him, but life continues forward. He is testing the system with his style of governing, but that's not necessarily a bad thing... a lot of rules have been bent by presidents past, but if they don't hold those folk accountable, then why hold Trump to a different standard. Also, those laws can be updated, or executive rules changed so that that no longer happens, if Congress cared enough to do something about it. Getting rid of Trump is the easy way out, as it won't make that type of corruption go away overnight, nor will it stop the decay.

If I'm honest, I think Congress is the one to be watching out for... the president is only one man... but both parties have been doing their damnedest to try to snatch an absolute majority or otherwise rig the rules so they can slam through massive bills... that are inefficient and poorly written and not how the system was designed... Conservatives were willing to gamble on Trump, and the Progressives have all but placed bets that Trump whatever syndrome will help them to win back the electorate... at least Trump is sort of there to throw a wrench in those plans and to make it harder for them to revert back to older ways... the more time that goes by, the better I feel about the result of 2016... I think people were just tired of the status quo and wanted a reset. It may have been counter-intuitive in some respects, but it may not have been a bad instinct either...

Last edited by Maru; 09-06-2018 at 10:35 PM.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:43 PM #9
Sod orf

Sod orf

Quote:
Yeah it is a bit much. I didn't vote for him, but life continues forward. He is testing the system with his style of governing, but that's not necessarily a bad thing... a lot of rules have been bent by presidents past, but if they don't hold those folk accountable, then why hold Trump to a different standard. Also, those laws can be updated, or executive rules changed so that that no longer happens, if Congress cared enough to do something about it. Getting rid of Trump is the easy way out, but it won't make that type of corruption go away overnight, nor will it stop all the decay.

If I'm honest, I think Congress is the one to be watching out for... the president is only one man... but both parties have been doing their damnedest to try to snatch an absolute majority or otherwise rig the rules so they can slam through massive bills... that are inefficient and poorly written and not how the system was designed... Conservatives were willing to gamble on Trump, and the Progressives have all but placed bets that Trump whatever syndrome will help them to win back the electorate... at least Trump is sort of there to throw a wrench in those plans and to make it harder for them to revert back to older tactics... the more time that goes by, the better I feel about the result of 2016...I think people were just tired of the status quo and wanted a reset.
Well it was supposed to be Clinton vs Bush wasn't it? But Trump just realised that all he had to do was take the side of the American people. He's an imposter to the American succession of the throne. I can't believe they haven't executed him yet.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:58 PM #10
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf View Post
Well it was supposed to be Clinton vs Bush wasn't it? But Trump just realised that all he had to do was take the side of the American people. He's an imposter to the American succession of the throne. I can't believe they haven't executed him yet.
No, I think it was Ted Cruz who was second... he won TX (and my primary vote). So a kind of Bush?

Last edited by Maru; 09-06-2018 at 10:59 PM.
Old 09-06-2018, 11:06 PM #11
Sod orf

Sod orf

Quote:
No, I think it was Ted Cruz who was second... he won TX (and my primary vote). So a kind of Bush?
I wanted Ted to win from the off, but by the end Trump grew on me. He's a winner, and that's a good quality in a leader.

Last edited by Alf; 09-06-2018 at 11:11 PM.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
begs, bill, donald, maher, recession, rid, trump