Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Celebrity Big Brother 2024 CBB 23 starts March 4th 2024 on ITV.

Old 22-03-2024, 10:08 PM #51

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2019: Karim Zeroual
BB18: Isabelle

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
…absolutely, they’re showing no progression in their care, Mock…and that’s very worrying to see atm in such early stages of their production of the show…
I understand what you’re saying, Ammi, but we don’t know if there is any problem with her mental health. Maybe she has pulled out because she has a bee in her bonnet that she didn’t achieve what she wanted to - she did go straight into her interview with some obvious resentment about the ‘edit narrative’, despite having never seen the edit. Staying away from the final might be her way of trying to reinforce that narrative.

I do believe that, in this day and age, any celebrity who participates in reality shows is fully aware of the potential outcomes - good or bad - and they also have to bear some responsibility for what happens. It cannot solely be blamed on the show.
Garfie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-03-2024, 10:35 PM #52

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maru View Post
The irony about celebrities is that they can be like a moth to flame. Give them the right tools and incentives and they may set themselves on fire for entertainment. Often these are fragile people in connection to their character whom are most pulled in by pursuit of seeking validation. That could be why some act out in the house in the first place is to get to that attention. Still, it can still be a rude awakening, no matter how that person may seem.

So people with the worst habits go for these platforms often for the immediate returns it can offer in character judgements. I have had my share of those cruel encounters in my very early past just being young, and outside of safety concerns, I think we tend to give what is said online far too much weight (especially in smaller scales) as it is a distorted way of dissecting experiences in real time.

It's also too irresistable to people with a particular personality set that if they read one thing, they must read it all... very bad idea, especially as there are also addicted individuals on the other end that happily feed off the same feedback loop. That's why it won't stop as soon as it starts. We haven't done a a good job at identifying those people early enough on to catch it before the habits start forming. So we haven't adjusted yet. Instead, people often sit by and watch it all burn like cheap entertainment. Society still thinks this is perfectly normal.

Maybe it is a very wise move she stopped it before it could spiral, at least on her end. I'll have a different opinion maybe once I catch up on the show.
I understand your points here, Maru, but in my view, we mustn’t forget self-responsibility. I have to pose the question should it really be the responsibility of the rest of society to protect or mollycoddle those who have a large but fragile ego and who constantly seek out attention?

We also have to ask if it is their mental health or, in fact, their ego that is affected.

There are millions of truly vulnerable people in this world, and I wouldn’t hesitate to help, support or protect them.

However, I think as a viewer of BB and other reality shows, I’d feel a bit of a hypocrite if I criticised the shows and the producers, when part of the reason we all watch them is for the drama, and when we know their premise is very much based on popularity and judgement of individuals.

My final point would be that we have to guard against immediately jumping down a mental health diagnosis and condemnation of the show, when we do not know that to be the case. It seems that is the route people can go down far too quickly and easily these days, and part of me feels this devalues those people truly suffering from mental health issues.
Old 22-03-2024, 10:53 PM #53

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusticgal View Post
Well, I am afraid I am less sympathetic. I am sure she got a lot of backlash on Social Media when she won LI because everyone knows that they only won because everyone loved Davide...she was manipulative on that.
Since then she has appeared on DOI where she sulked like a child when she wasn't achieving good marks. Then she is on CBB...desperate for airtime and desperate for fame. Its all sun and roses when it works in your favour...but as MM knows you start lying and twisting stories and manipulating situations to suit your own agenda, then its going to come back and bite you on the bum...and thats what she did during the CBB experience.
Sadly with this generation Social media is the be all and end all...its sick. Im sure she has made loads of money since LI..more than any of us dream about.
Go and enjoy it and just use Social Media to chat with your friends and family.
I agree with most of what you say here, rustic. She has repeatedly put herself out there on reality tv shows which she knows are about judgement and popularity. We are all also aware of the nature of social media, with people like Ekin who is already in the public eye, being more aware than most.

There’s part of me that asks why put yourself out there for judgement if you don’t want to be judged, and if you can’t accept that some people might not like you or perceive you in the way you desire?
Old 23-03-2024, 02:10 AM #54
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
BB19: Anamelia
CBB22: Gabby Allen
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
BB19: Anamelia
CBB22: Gabby Allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
… I feel that all only has a ‘one view’ perspective, though… for me, that’s a perspective leaning toward and in favour of ‘victim blame’ as it diverts and dissolves online bullying behaviour and ‘internet hate’ which we all know are very present in our world of today….(…apologies for the brief aspect of this as I’m not great at typing on my phone ….)….
If I write a 200 page essay on how I really feel, I'll be chased off the site again

Jokes aside, I thought I made it clear about my view of the state of social media when I said I thought that we treated social media bruises as cheap entertainment. We don't see the desire to inflict pain (self-inflicted or not) on one another as a form of entertainment as a problem worth addressing. While I don't think negative posts should be screened or anything like that, I feel we forget that how people portray themselves online or even on TV are not exactly how they feel inside. And fame encourages people to even say things are worse or better than they really are, which equally distorts things. Without extending this into a massive essay, there's reasons we can't address atm and it's best left to another discussion more suited to that I think as the scope of the conversation was relating to Ekin-su and her behavior, what she appears to have done to cope with it, etc. I chose to address it from POV of personality traits, because often that is how it plays out, that these big characters go into the house with the belief they're hardened... most people couldn't actually handle a mob of detractors without having to take a step back or responding in a panic (doubling down, etc).

I think very highly of anyone who can step away from a situation and review. And it sounded like from what little I saw about it from a brief search, that she is indeed looking at it and trying to take away constructively... but can't do that while in the middle of it. I completely understand that. I think that's more normal than not, ie less toxic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfie View Post
I understand your points here, Maru, but in my view, we mustn’t forget self-responsibility. I have to pose the question should it really be the responsibility of the rest of society to protect or mollycoddle those who have a large but fragile ego and who constantly seek out attention?

We also have to ask if it is their mental health or, in fact, their ego that is affected.

There are millions of truly vulnerable people in this world, and I wouldn’t hesitate to help, support or protect them.

However, I think as a viewer of BB and other reality shows, I’d feel a bit of a hypocrite if I criticised the shows and the producers, when part of the reason we all watch them is for the drama, and when we know their premise is very much based on popularity and judgement of individuals.

My final point would be that we have to guard against immediately jumping down a mental health diagnosis and condemnation of the show, when we do not know that to be the case. It seems that is the route people can go down far too quickly and easily these days, and part of me feels this devalues those people truly suffering from mental health issues.
I agree completely as this is what I believe also. The only thing I would touch upon is that self-accountability and group/culture-based accountability ideally work hand-in-hand. There has to be something to be accountable to. If culture has broke apart and there's fewer bonds, that means there's less of a sense of shared consequences, ie. "common sense" no longer is common. Then it becomes more difficult to determine where the blame should go. It also makes it feel like we can't really punish any bad actors as there's room to say that it is in fact socially acceptable behavior to spend most hours of the day trolling certain celebs. Just a thought.

Another example, how much was a reality TV's star behavior enabled or encouraged throughout their reality TV career? How often were they rewarded for ignoring the haters, through production encouraging the behavior or even monetarily/career-wise rewarded for being a firebrand. Only just this show gives them a bad reaction then, in their eyes? They're shielded from consequences when they're rewarded and see their name pop up more and get clicks. (I haven't seen it yet in this case to say either way)

I can see where a famous person finds themselves being milked for the machine, because one set of behaviors is encouraged and even applauded in one quarter... terrible in another... so their toxic behavior is sold to them and those closest as their trademark. Then it becomes very difficult to hold actions to account when nobody can agree what action actually constituted ill will or harm, when it was their personality defects that supposedly got them where they are. So much controversy comes from a contradiction, imo.

Outside of that, because culture is not where it should be, we find ourselves in a place that shouting across the screen seems to be the only way to get across how gross someone is behaving. But keep in mind, to some people these are numbers and because "numbers go up", it's always good. The fact she would pull her social media imo is a good sign a celeb might be taking any legitimate criticism to heart, regardless of anything they say later, because of course they're told to sell themselves as inspiring... and society's current model for that is unapologetic twitter user posts majestic instagram life while telling society what they are doing wrong or right.

Last edited by Maru; 23-03-2024 at 02:12 AM.
Maru is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-03-2024, 04:03 PM #55

Real Shame she was not on the Live ITV2HD Final
show.

Typical Presenters

never told us why

Last edited by arista; 23-03-2024 at 04:04 PM.
arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-03-2024, 05:16 PM #56

Favourites:
BB18: Raph
X Factor 2013: Abi Alton

Favourites:
BB18: Raph
X Factor 2013: Abi Alton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazanne View Post
I don't like Ekin Sue,didnt like her in LI I find her very attention seeking and false,I do hope she is ok, do I feel sorry for her ? not really, she acted as she did so should own it, this for me is attention seeking again as people will be more interested in why she isn't , there to those who are,the show gave her an opportunity to shine, no one is to blame AJ called her out as she was lying,so for me I do hope she takes some time out,hope shes ok,but this to me is attention seeking yet again. IF she is genuinely upset about it all stay out the media.
Totally agree.
smudgie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
celebrity big brother, ekinsu, final, withdrawn