Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

General Chat General discussion. Want to chat about anything not covered in another forum - This is the place!

Old 19-04-2024, 09:04 PM #1

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

Default TIBBS. Could be a good read for some, so I'm bloody gonna post it thread

MAISIE BENNET, (right) the former proprietor of The Red Lion at the back of the Cross Keys Hotel in Kelso recalls local characters and memories from the town in 1977……..
Much water has flowed under Rennie's Bridge over the River Tweed since my mother and father took over as Host and Hostess at the Red Lion Inn. So, for the best part of my 65 years since being born in Kelso, the Red Lion has played a big part in my life. These years bring back memories, and what better than for you to share some of my thoughts on several of the characters of yesteryear. Recent generations will be reading for the first time, when I refer to 'Black Bobby,' while senior citizens of the community will be able to relate on a similar line. Black Bobby was a kind soul who gave a wedding present to every couple in the town and signed himself "From the African Minister." What he meant by using such a nom-de-plume, we just don't know. Hence the nickname that became a legend in the town and district. While walking across Kelso Square one would encounter ‘Old Yorkie,' another local character of note. There he was, a
stalwart figure with long beard, sheepdog at foot, and by the way, summer or winter, never failed to be wearing several coats. Old Yorkie delighted in relating local history to townspeople and visitors, not forgetting to let them know also of all the local landmarks in the vicinity. One was always amused cn a Saturday when 'Feng' paraded about the streets of Kelso with his Black and White umbrella, complete with Black and White scarf. Feng's appearance in this garb always marked the occasions when Kelso Rugby team were at home, and he was advertising the match of the day. In his youth Feng was a famous footballer with Dundee. Changing his code to rugby in his old age, to support Kelso Rugby Club.
Not so well known was the travelling Gypsy woman, Agnes Gilroy, known amongst the locals as 'Big Aggie, Agnes was a regular in the locality selling her wares of combs, pins and clothes pegs from her basket. She was a most interesting person in her own right. Many are the happy times we had when Agnes would tell us of local happenings. On one occasion she asked a Kelso farmer for a night's shelter. Everything went well until daylight when Agnes awoke to find she had been sleeping in the same shed as the farm bull. Agnes also spoke of her mother, the Gypsy depicted in the famous painting that hangs in the Art Gallery in London.
‘Jethart Wull' was another famous local character. Many were his antics in town and district, especially on the occasion of Kelso Games. Wull, to my knowledge, never won a prize, but never failed to be a great source of entertainment by running on, and on, and on.
I remember the occasion of the Art Master at Kelso
High School, Robert Murray, putting on "A Midsummer
Night's Dream," in the natural theatre at Springwood Park. A big crowd turned out to watch the show set in the woodlands just inside the former entrance to Springwood House, at the end of Kelso Bridge. Everyone was made most welcome by the Rector of Kelso High School, Mr Frederick P. Shepherd. I played the part of 'Mustard Seed, Alma Shepherd gave a superb performance as 'Titania,' Jim Trainer excelled as 'Puck,' and John Turnbull gained much praise for his performance as ‘Bottom’.
While on about the theatre and local traditions, what a pity the Kelso Pageant held in Kelso Square in connection with Civic Week was allowed to fall away after being staged for two or three years. The event was well attended and brought colour and character to the scene with Knights in Armour and Bodyguards on horseback making up the cast. There was also the tragic moment when Meg (a dummy) was thrown off the roof of the Town Hall to land amongst the actors standing around the cobbled Square.
Kelso Square, as it is today, still holds its place as a natural theatre, as is demonstrated during Civic Week at the Colour Bussing, Cup Presentations and Flag Ceremonials. Would it be out of place to suggest to the Kelso Laddies Association of the present era to consider bringing back the Kelso Pageant at some time in the near future ?
There was a lighter side to look back on as well, however.
When the last Kelso Pageant was in full swing, Dr McCracken, who resided nearby, was called out in an emergency. Bag in hand and striding out, the doctor walked between the Knights, Ladies in Waiting and horsemen, and without a pause was on his way. It was out of place in the medieval setting, but an unrehearsed pause in the proceedings (unthought of by the producer) that brought forth much amusement to the gathered crowd.
One must not forget the Kelso Hotel Bus Services that ran between the town and Kelso Station to meet the trains. These buses ran from the Cross Keys and Queen's Head. With the Red Lion being near to the Cross Keys, many were the occasions when we heard the clang of the bell as the proprietor rang for Mr Service at Service's Livery Stables to bring the bus forward for a client. I wonder if the bell is still in existence? 💕
parmnion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
bloody, gonna, good, post, read, thread, tibbs