Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Soaps Discuss Eastenders, Coronation Street and the rest of the soaps in this sub-forum.

Old 17-05-2024, 06:12 PM #76

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
The Circle 2019: Georgina

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redway View Post
This version of Sam (Medcalf) had actually been in it off-and-on over the past 2 years, to be fair. But Westbrook and Medcalf’s versions of the characters were indefinitely abridged so Sam’s characterisation was never allowed to advance in the way that it was in her 2002-05 journey. That Sam left with Johnny Allen’s threats and basically hasn’t been back, not fully.
Yeah but remember in the Archie era when
Peggy tried to bail Sam out the prison...and Westbrook was crying with zero tears when the police caught her. It felt so amateurish.

I know Westbrook has had personal issues & health problems,but I never use to rate her much as an actress.

I always felt like Kim Metcalf was much better, and I was never a Sam fan ...but Kim acted it perfectly especially when she went crazy and dug Den's body up lmao ...that was the highlight.
Old 17-05-2024, 06:26 PM #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate! View Post
Belting episode
Belting upon belting, innit, Kate. Everything just fell into place perfectly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldHeart View Post
Yeah but remember in the Archie era when
Peggy tried to bail Sam out the prison...and Westbrook was crying with zero tears when the police caught her. It felt so amateurish.

I know Westbrook has had personal issues & health problems,but I never use to rate her much as an actress.

I always felt like Kim Metcalf was much better, and I was never a Sam fan ...but Kim acted it perfectly especially when she went crazy and dug Den's body up lmao ...that was the highlight.
Medcalf is a much better actor than Westbrook (no shade to Westbrook personally); there is no doubt about that. 2009/early 2010 Sam (during this Archie stuff you speak of, and before that the Bianca/Ricky triangle) was utterly diabolical in particular. Ditto for circa Peggy’s funeral. She was okay when she returned later in 2010 and gave birth to Ricky.

‘You know who the real loser in all that (stone-walling) is? That fool a person (as-per narcissism/general toxicity) who doesn’t get to see the full authentic glory of who you are. They lost, not you, and you protected yourself.’ (Durvasula, 2024.)
Redway is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-05-2024, 06:33 PM #78

Also. This was during the era that Corrie was falling further and further into silly comedy and pointless actual tangible stories that went nowhere when they did happen, so comparatively (not that comparisons always hold the most weight) EastEnders was the best soap of 2005 by all accounts. Emmerdale may have been good, but outside of clash/head-to-head episodes they never damaged EastEnders’ brand at any point in the noughties as much as they would’ve liked to. And at this point it was very-much just a farm soap with occasional plane crashes to get the masses tuning in in the absence of any actual grit. EastEnders has always been more cutting-edge in its portrayal of drama and issues, and it was on-point this year. Corrie went off the boil after May/June 2005 so you weren’t really looking at ITV to provide the comparative quality this year.

‘You know who the real loser in all that (stone-walling) is? That fool a person (as-per narcissism/general toxicity) who doesn’t get to see the full authentic glory of who you are. They lost, not you, and you protected yourself.’ (Durvasula, 2024.)
Old 17-05-2024, 06:42 PM #79

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redway View Post
Also. This was during the era that Corrie was falling further and further into silly comedy and pointless actual tangible stories that went nowhere when they did happen, so comparatively (not that comparisons always hold the most weight) EastEnders was the best soap of 2005 by all accounts. Emmerdale may have been good, but outside of clash/head-to-head episodes they never damaged EastEnders’ brand at any point in the noughties as much as they would’ve liked to. And at this point it was very-much just a farm soap with occasional plane crashes to get the masses tuning in in the absence of any actual grit. EastEnders has always been more cutting-edge in its portrayal of drama and issues, and it was on-point this year. Corrie went off the boil after May/June 2005 so you weren’t really looking at ITV to provide the comparative quality this year.
I think all soaps are guilty of the silly & ridiculous storylines,but I definitely prefer the classic episodes. I haven't watched a soap since 2010.

I didn't like the EE era 2007 upwards.

Yeah didn't a strange stalker character hold Norris hostage or something and then they became friends , and there was Rosie getting kidnapped aswell by
that teacher she had an affair with.

Last edited by GoldHeart; 17-05-2024 at 06:43 PM.
GoldHeart is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-05-2024, 08:53 PM #80

Favourites:
CBB2024: Marisha Wallace

Favourites:
CBB2024: Marisha Wallace

Ok yeah, my guilty pleasure is Classic Eastenders, and today's episodes were indeed brilliant....

Detective - "we've found a dead body"
Sharon - "but it's my wedding day"

Epic

Also Sharon fainting. Everyone was on form for this episode.
Old 18-05-2024, 12:30 AM #81

Sharon being annoying throughout the summer of ’05 and badgering Sam and Chrissie for information about Den’s last words and whereabouts all pays off in this episode. Just the look on her face when he’s unburied and the faint. The camp of it all. The fact that this time around she was right all-along but not in the way she was bargaining for. The fact that we’re a week away from her throwing a vodka-tonic in Peggy’s face still. Chai.

Old 18-05-2024, 04:01 AM #82
Haunting Ground

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

Haunting Ground

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan View Post
Ok yeah, my guilty pleasure is Classic Eastenders, and today's episodes were indeed brilliant....

Detective - "we've found a dead body"
Sharon - "but it's my wedding day"

Epic

Also Sharon fainting. Everyone was on form for this episode.
Omg.

I'm not normally a Soap person, but I am considering seeing if Footballer's Wives is any good or not, the trailer that ITVX showed of it looks exactly like it's as car crash as the BIB from Sharon.

I am asking you all on TIBB if you'd like to be apart of my Phone contacts?

If you don't then no worries, I understand where you're coming from.

And if you do want to be added, then PM your Phone number to me, so that it's not made public to everyone.

And if you're not comfortable with being contact with me through Phone, then you can follow me on Twitter if you prefer https://x.com/Mock26020127
Mystic Mock is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-05-2024, 05:42 AM #83
The Italian Job

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
CBB18: Christopher Biggins

The Italian Job

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
CBB18: Christopher Biggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic Mock View Post
Omg.

I'm not normally a Soap person, but I am considering seeing if Footballer's Wives is any good or not, the trailer that ITVX showed of it looks exactly like it's as car crash as the BIB from Sharon.
I loved it. Definitely worth a watch.
Old 18-05-2024, 03:35 PM #84

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic Mock View Post
Omg.

You should watch footballer's wives it's a bit like a sweary campy 80's drama.....( despite being made in the 00s) .There's alot of weird stuff ,but it had me laughing aswell in parts ,the dialogue and theatrics alone is
comical. I hated how they ended it though, it got axed so it ended on a silly cliffhanger.
Old 20-05-2024, 09:55 PM #85

Okayyy. The episode where Sam gets arrested for doing the dirty with … Dirty Den’s body got this in the overnight ratings: 10.15 million (53.4%). Standard for the time but belting share for August.

Old 21-05-2024, 03:43 AM #86
Haunting Ground

Favourites (more):

Haunting Ground

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldHeart View Post
You should watch footballer's wives it's a bit like a sweary campy 80's drama.....( despite being made in the 00s) .There's alot of weird stuff ,but it had me laughing aswell in parts ,the dialogue and theatrics alone is
comical. I hated how they ended it though, it got axed so it ended on a silly cliffhanger.
When I'm in the mood, I'll take a chance on it.

After all it can't do worse than most of the Video Games that I've been playing recently.

I am asking you all on TIBB if you'd like to be apart of my Phone contacts?

If you don't then no worries, I understand where you're coming from.

And if you do want to be added, then PM your Phone number to me, so that it's not made public to everyone.

And if you're not comfortable with being contact with me through Phone, then you can follow me on Twitter if you prefer https://x.com/Mock26020127
Mystic Mock is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
classic, eastenders