Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Big Brother 2023 - ITV2 Big Brother UK (BB20) started October 8th 2023 on ITV2 and ITVX.

Old 18-05-2024, 08:39 PM #1
Canadian Royalty

Canadian Royalty

Default Hopes for season 2

ITV’s first series did take some steps in the right direction but was far from perfect. What improvements can BB make for season 2? .
Old 18-05-2024, 08:40 PM #2
Canadian Royalty

Canadian Royalty

The voice - Production have said they were looking to give this incarnation of BB more of a personality but in practice it’s giving the exact opposite. Current voice feels like a narrator for a children’s show and seems to lack any sense of authority no matter how hard they try. IDK call me a purist but BB isn’t a single entity but a personification of production as a whole, it lacks gender, and its personality will fluctuate depending on who is filling the role, the only thing that is consistent is that BB is always watching.

Pacing - ITV limiting the series to 6 weeks is what it is but it shouldn’t affect the pacing of the series as much as it has. There’s no other way to describe the BB20 cast other than bloated and for that fact the majority of the series felt like treading water. Either production need to exercise restraint in casting or given they have no restrictions at Garden Studios speed up eviction cycle allowing for a mid week eviction. Limiting the series to 6 weeks doesn’t mean the series shouldn’t have a natural beginning, middle, and end.

Identity - As I said before the ITV series made strides in the right direction but despite attempts to refresh some elements of the show it’s lacked an overarching theme or defining foundational element that’s made this era feel distinct. Think BB5/BB6/BB7 Evil/Twisted BB where each series sort of build on the foundation left by the previous series. Perhaps introducing have/have nots or introducing some other gamified element? Can’t help but feel like in the modern era the tasks should count for a bit more than just the shopping budget.

Tone - Bring back an element of fun and frivolity to the show. The current era takes itself WAY too seriously, whether it be throwing HM’s in jail for minor/accidental rule breaks or placing too much emphasis on conflict. I love a good row as much as the next person but constant bickering between the same people over the same things makes for a rather one dimensional experience. I’d also say that punishment should fit the crime and there are much more creative ways to punish HM’s than throwing them in cages for hours at a time.

Last edited by kingston; 18-05-2024 at 08:49 PM.
kingston is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-05-2024, 11:58 PM #3
MVGGA

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

MVGGA

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

I'll not say about the obvious, because it's something that I've mentioned so many times in the past, that I might end up driving other people insane if I bring it up again.

So I'll say these.

1. Don't coach the Housemates before going into the house on what they can and can't say, because it stops the Housemates from feeling natural, thus creating a bunch of boring Housemates.

2. Get the crowd reactions to feel more natural, rather than overly positive or negative (I'm thinking of Channel 5 on the latter.)

3. Stop casting so many people that love to look orange/tango'd, there's nothing wrong with some of them looking that way, but ITV and Ch5's eras really love that type of look, which does harm it's mass appeal.

4. Show Housemates good and bad sides, rather than the one-sided edits that BB like to go for with certain Housemates.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
hopes, season