Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 01-06-2023, 01:30 PM #76
God Save The Rave

God Save The Rave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
I agree. Until they can alter their Y chromosome... They're still men.
I'm a little more charitable in that I don't think anyone necessarily needs to be termed a "man" or "woman" if they don't want, they're social descriptors at the end of the day. So I'm willing to say transwomen, and that they're not men... however, they will always be male, and can never be female.

Last edited by Soldier Boy; 01-06-2023 at 01:30 PM.
Soldier Boy is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 02:49 PM #77

Interesting..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zizu is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 03:43 PM #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier Boy View Post
I worked in a bookmakers for 10 years and managed it for 4 so I've seen a couple of rounds of golf yes .

I don't actually dislike sport at all, I like a good boxing match, I enjoy the big Tennis events, I can watch Snooker/Darts, I even appreciate a decent football game. Golf and rugby bore me to tears as it goes. So I can appreciate that football has some entertainment value, at very least. I also played basketball at school/uni although professional basketball is a boring watch IMO.

So yes it's not a dislike of sport - it's just never being to understand the obsession and thinking it's the best think in the world. Little boys who "eat sleep and breathe football". I just don't get it . It's OK but that's it.
I feel you and I'm pretty-much the same. John. 'Bradshaw' Layfield was my two-second wrestling icon (I even used to annoy someone I used to play wrestling games on their PlayStation with by always bringing up and exaggerating his prowess) and I have a cousin who's a retired athlete (and as it goes I am actually related, some somewhat closely and others more distantly to a few basketball and football-playing figures) and that's the extent of the obsession I've ever had for sports. I don't particularly like football but accept that it's a technically decent game that serves some sort of purpose (and there was a time where I had to do a bit of research on it and make something good of it). But compared to boxing and wrestling it's a joke. Like it, don't like it but don't get too hung up on it. It must be one of the most boring things in the world to get obsessed over.

And it ain't just little boys. I get the red-Scouse patriotism for it to a certain extent (you have to remember that I lived in Liverpool for years and grew up there) but it's still annoying watching grown men from all over the nation throwing their toys out of the pram when their team doesn't win the final goal. Who's really arsed?

Don’t let your regret be stronger than your gratitude, don’t go hanging on to negativity and don’t go underselling yourself. That is all.
Redway is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 05:12 PM #79
MVGGA

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

MVGGA

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redway View Post
Yeah, I hear that. When I say “obsessed” I’m talking about the silly man-boys out there who think that a team they don’t even support that’s playing is a good reason for the equivalent of a religious holiday and just fixate on it like there’s no 23.59. So it’s sad when boys feel like they have to prove their masculine worth by pretending/forcing themselves to like football more than they actually might. There are far more truly masculine sports out there than football (boxing and wrestling being two). I just prefer people to be of substance rather than sports-obsessives. Only boxers and athletes (who genuinely go through a lot just to qualify) are allowed to take it that seriously.
Oh liking Football to try and appear to be "masculine" is always a sad situation that I think society needs to not pile pressure on kids to like, and let kids naturally get into the Sport.

Like to tell you the truth, if I never watched the game where Birmingham City hammered Villa 3-0 with the iconic Enckleman mistake, I probably never would've got into Football because it was something that naturally grabbed my attention towards Football, rather than forcing myself to like it to please society.

And I do agree with you that some people are too obsessed with Football, to the point where they have no real interests away from Football, and I say that as someone that can be quite addicted to Football, but I like to think that Football isn't my identity solely.
Old 01-06-2023, 05:16 PM #80
MVGGA

Favourites (more):

MVGGA

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier Boy View Post
I worked in a bookmakers for 10 years and managed it for 4 so I've seen a couple of rounds of golf yes .

I don't actually dislike sport at all, I like a good boxing match, I enjoy the big Tennis events, I can watch Snooker/Darts, I even appreciate a decent football game. Golf and rugby bore me to tears as it goes. So I can appreciate that football has some entertainment value, at very least. I also played basketball at school/uni although professional basketball is a boring watch IMO.

So yes it's not a dislike of sport - it's just never being to understand the obsession and thinking it's the best think in the world. Little boys who "eat sleep and breathe football". I just don't get it . It's OK but that's it.
Oh your post is more than fair, thanks for the reply.

I was gonna say to check out something like Tennis actually, because of how different it is to Football and Rugby.

I actually don't mind Golf, it probably helps that I do like Rory McIlroy.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
disorder, mental, oliverw, trans