Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Big Brother 2023 - ITV2 Big Brother UK (BB20) started October 8th 2023 on ITV2 and ITVX.

Old 28-10-2023, 02:48 AM #26
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
BB19: Anamelia
CBB22: Gabby Allen
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
BB19: Anamelia
CBB22: Gabby Allen

I don't feel we got to know them that to depth to give it that deep of a thought. Regardless, it's a bit awkward as a grown adult to label anyone a "role model" whom I have no direct connection with. It would be a burden for them, not a blessing.

Hallie did provide positive reasons to have a rethink on some things and I never did get the feeling they were forced on the public to the extent it normally would be, so that's a welcome shift. I knew someone pre-trans when I was much younger and their commentary and their handling of emotions was very similar. I don't even think there was a word for it then because this was well before it became trendy to transition. It was just expressed as "I'm not actually this gender", and it was a feeling that consumed them all the time. They had no exposure to trans-positive media obviously, but this was also before they were able to join any community. So it does exist outside of the pop culture phenomena.

If Hallie can walk back into her life more secure with whoever they are on the inside, that would be a net "win" in my book, because showing how it can be done without promptly being stuffed into another box is a net positive. Whatever impression they left behind would be whatever it would be, but part of a greater exposure to individuals who happen to occupy a certain group (i.e. "representation").

However, if one goes on to live a fake life on social media, then "I want to be a role model for others" was just code for aspiring celebrity lol. Nothing wrong with becoming a public figure, but that person becomes a brand. They're not an individual anymore because there will always be expectations that they present a certain way.

Last edited by Maru; 28-10-2023 at 02:49 AM.
Maru is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-10-2023, 07:42 AM #27
Jessica Meuse was robbed.

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

Jessica Meuse was robbed.

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by parmnion View Post
I get exactly what you are saying.

If Hallie hadnt went In and divulged her life so quickly (day 2 i think) I would still have not known any difference(bad choice of words)

But the girl I saw walk in, and the girl ai saw walk out was the exact same person, and that person just screamed wow to me.

So I've learnt not to judge books so readily when airing opinions on matters that dont directly effect me, and that's Hallies doing.
BB surprisingly can be quite good at helping people change their views on things.

Speaking for myself, I know that my worldview on certain topics have changed thanks to Big Brother (and Football lol)

I'm a sick bitch.
Mystic Mock is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-10-2023, 07:54 AM #28
Adios

Adios

The fact that most intelligent people see her as a human being and not the devil trying to do god knows what like most ignorant people do is amazing.

She has a lot of growing up to do, she’s of course very bratty but most 18yr olds are these days.

But I am glad to see that she’s changed people minds.

“Stay away from people who act like a victim in a problem they created”
Glenn. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-10-2023, 08:03 AM #29
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maruten View Post
I don't feel we got to know them that to depth to give it that deep of a thought. Regardless, it's a bit awkward as a grown adult to label anyone a "role model" whom I have no direct connection with. It would be a burden for them, not a blessing.

Hallie did provide positive reasons to have a rethink on some things and I never did get the feeling they were forced on the public to the extent it normally would be, so that's a welcome shift. I knew someone pre-trans when I was much younger and their commentary and their handling of emotions was very similar. I don't even think there was a word for it then because this was well before it became trendy to transition. It was just expressed as "I'm not actually this gender", and it was a feeling that consumed them all the time. They had no exposure to trans-positive media obviously, but this was also before they were able to join any community. So it does exist outside of the pop culture phenomena.

If Hallie can walk back into her life more secure with whoever they are on the inside, that would be a net "win" in my book, because showing how it can be done without promptly being stuffed into another box is a net positive. Whatever impression they left behind would be whatever it would be, but part of a greater exposure to individuals who happen to occupy a certain group (i.e. "representation").

However, if one goes on to live a fake life on social media, then "I want to be a role model for others" was just code for aspiring celebrity lol. Nothing wrong with becoming a public figure, but that person becomes a brand. They're not an individual anymore because there will always be expectations that they present a certain way.
…this is filled with lots of thought, a very good post..…I don’t think in general that BB or any other reality shows etc are something I would think of in terms of providing any role models as such but they can and do give us ‘firsts’ and Hallie is a first in that she’s a first such very young transgender of only 18yrs old that we’ve seen in BB …we’ve obviously had transgender housemates before but not so young…so it all gives us different layers of personal life experiences but I’m not sure that I’d apply ‘role model’ to any chosen BB housemate …I mean, being transgender is something that you are as opposed to something you would aspire to be…anyway, I’m just musing…I like your post and your thoughts…
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-10-2023, 08:03 AM #30

[QUOTE=smudgie;11361098]She was a good housemate, never really thought of her as Trans, lovely looking .../QUOTE]Same here.

I think she has a chance to become catwalk model too.
Gusto Brunt is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-10-2023, 08:13 AM #31
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:

No-one is a role model for any group. So no
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-10-2023, 08:42 AM #32
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic Mock View Post
That's a fair point.

I just hope that one day we'll have a society and TV industry that cares more about the individual rather than the community said individual might be apart of.

Like I personally think that it's sad that Hallie felt like she had to go into the BB house to showcase that Trans people are just like everyone else, rather than just being an individual who is in there to try and win BB.

You're welcome though Parmnion, I love it when BB is on air because it opens up interesting debates like this.
That's an excellent set of points there Mock.
I'm in full agreement
Well said.
joeysteele is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-10-2023, 09:05 AM #33
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Just saw Hallie as what she presented as, as for role model no....not sure who would want to model themselves on Halllie behaviour

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-10-2023, 09:19 AM #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
Just saw Hallie as what she presented as, as for role model no....not sure who would want to model themselves on Halllie behaviour

Exactly !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zizu is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-10-2023, 09:29 AM #35
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

Hallie behaved like a precautious child. She isn't a role model for anything
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-10-2023, 09:51 AM #36

Where as she got this fake gangster accent ?

Her mum talks normally

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zizu is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-10-2023, 10:59 AM #37

I think so
I don’t believe you can change your sex and that a trans woman is a woman and Hallie didn’t change my opinion on that but I can respect Hallies right to live her life as a woman and she came across as a normal teen who has her strengths and weaknesses she has a lot of courage and I like her for who she is.
Often trans people you see on the internet especially TikTok are almost cartoon like with their beards and boobs claiming to be woman one day and a man the next with their they them Zi/zem pronouns , it’s nice to see a normal trans woman just being herself
Big brother often helps people change their minds and broaden their opinions of people they will never meet in real life and I think Hallie has helped the trans community by showing a genuine normal person instead the the characters you often see in the internet.
Atake25 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
good, hallie, model, role, trans